![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
I tried out one of my boxes tonight and I am hooked. I live in a pit and could only get about 2-3 watchable stations via analog. Noise in the signal ans overall weak signals made most stations unwatchable
Now with the DTV tuner and a plain ol' UHF antenna I can pick up 7 stations no problem without glitches. The insignia box has a signal meter that lets you adjust the antenna for best reception. It's very difficult to combat multipath in either case of digital vs analog. If it is severe enough, it won't be watchable in either digital or analog. I have two stations here that aren't even viewable because of the MP problems. Digital was only visable for a few seconds at a time. I suspect a better antenna that is directional would have cured those problems.
__________________
Jordan |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
I too am quite pleased with reception performance of the Magnavox; it latched on to marginal ATSC signals far better than either of my hi-def sets w/built-in ATSC tuners. I'm wondering if there's a technical advantage when the ATSC tuner does not have to feed a decoder generating 1080i or 720p hi-def. Pete |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Absolutely. HD signals require massive amounts of bandwidth for both the hi-res picture and the 5.1 surround sound (if encoded with it) Therefore it is VERY sensitive to signal quality. HD over the air can quickly diminish if the signal isn't clear and strong.
Quote:
__________________
Jordan |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Pete, Output format is totally irrelevant - what you are seeing is differences in the tuner/demodulator/equalizer, designs of which have improved over time. Also, a certain minimum performance is required for boxes to be coupon-eligible. This is about the only time in the history of consumer electronics that the industry has willingly accepted performance criteria, having realized that it MUST work or the DTV transition is a bust. However: A good reason for NOT doing this across the board for all sets is that it freezes the performance at a particular level, whereas unregulated products have a history of finding constantly improving performance/cost trade-offs. It is never known for sure if all the regulations applied are equally important, or if certain criteria could be less strict in order to improve another area, giving an over-all better result in the field. The free market can find those things. - Wayne |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Local Wal-Mart now has Magnavox boxes.
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|