Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Whirled One's Avatar
Whirled One Whirled One is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
Re: Figured it out...

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie

The final result was a lot better than what I started with, but I am not finding the colors to be very rich on all programs. Seems that different stations on the cable have different levels of color.
Picture quality looks pretty good to me, Charlie. Neat looking set too!
As for the problem with the color level changing from channel to channel, this may be a silly question (especially since I'm not familiar with older Zenith color sets), but does that TV even have automatic chroma gain in the first place..? I'm not sure exactly when color TVs first started having that feature, so I may be a bit off base here. The chroma amp does sound a bit weak, though, if you can't get color at all (or color sync isn't stable) on some channels. In any case, readjusting the color (chroma) level control after switching channels is pretty much normal operating procedure for color TVs not having auto chroma gain.

BTW, in response to the UHF discussion in this thread, I believe TVs started becoming available with factory-installed UHF tuners starting in 1952 or '53; it's just that UHF-equipped sets weren't all that popular in many markets until the FCC mandated them in mid-1964.

On a related note, I was just thinking-- just how feasible would it be to alter the tuning range of an old outboard UHF converter to use it as a cable TV tuner instead..? That way you could avoid the need for "modern" equipment (i.e. a cable box or VCR) to serve this purpose.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.