Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
NowhereMan 1966's Avatar
NowhereMan 1966 NowhereMan 1966 is offline
Slave to 1 Cat
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tiltonsville, OH
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by markallen View Post
I also got the RS "Digital Stream" DTV converter and I like it. Basically plug and play. I now receive 3 public TV stations and also the local CBS and NBC affiliates. Apparently the ABC and Fox stations are not digital - yet. The difference in picture quality is remarkable.

Here is how I set it up so I can get both DTV and analog: using (triple - red, white, yellow) RCA-type cables, I plugged the converter into the VCR through one of VCR's AUX inputs (it has 2 AUX inputs; the DVD player already employs one of them) and then inserted a cable splitter so the "rabbit ears" can feed signal to both the VCR/TV and DTV converter. So now we can receive the analog ABC/Fox broadcasts, and also the DTV broadcasts for the aforementioned stations by switching to the AUX via the VCR. Works well, even if it is kind of a rat's nest of connections, components and remotes.
That's what we do with the 1982 Zenith. It is hooked to cable, we use the VCR/DVD combo as a cable tuner box and we put the DTV box into the RCA inputs on the back. That way, we switch the channel to "Line 1" and turn the box on and we get over the air HDTV. We get RTN over the air here in Pittsburgh so Mom and I like to watch the old shows like Knightrider, A-Team, Ironside, and so forth. I know RTN (Retro TV Network) is on cable but we have to pay extra for the digital cable system. Why pay extra if I can pluck it out of the air for free? Plus I like the extra two PBS channels we have, the HDTV one, the regular DTV one and a third DTV one that shows a lot of Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania history stuff. Anyhow, if we ever lose cable from weather or whatever happens, Mom will not have to fumble around for an antenna or switch the VCR/DVD or Zenith from CATV to VHF/UHF, she just needs to go to the DTV box and there ya go. Of course, we still have analogue TV but it will be a moot point after 2-17-2009 when we go all digital. So even though we have cable, sometimes we do go to over the air TV. WE have Line 2 as well, the front input jacks, but those are for my Playstation or videogames when I drag them out.

I do the same thing with my Commodore 1702 monitor in my bedroom. It has no tuner at all so I just plug my DTT900 box into the front RCA jacks (just two, yellow and white, it is mono so I use the left channel and set the box for mono, I did this with both) and I use that as an ATSC only TV. I just yank out the cords and plug in the Playstation when needed.
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you
Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl!
Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Pete Deksnis's Avatar
Pete Deksnis Pete Deksnis is offline
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 762
Data from the internet today...

Washington, D.C. (June 23, 2008) -- Consumer Reports Magazine has given top scores to four Digital TV converters capable of picture quality that comes close to a DVD: the Tivax STB-T9 ($50), the Lasonic LTA-260 ($55), the Sansonic FT300A ($60), and the Microgem MG2000 ($65).

The magazine gives Better ratings to six other DTV converters that according to them offer a picture better than most current analog broadcasts: the Philco TB100HH9 ($50), the Magnavox TB100MW9 ($50), the Artec T3A Pro ($55), the Insignia NS-DXA1 ($60), the Zenith DTT900 ($60), and the RCA DTA800B ($65).

Four converters were rated Acceptable meaning they offer a picture comparable to an analog broadcast but with some flaws: the Digital Stream DTX9900 ($60), the Digital Stream DSP7500T ($70), the GE 22730 ($70), and the GE 22729 ($80).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 PM
WA3WLJ's Avatar
WA3WLJ WA3WLJ is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Radford , VA ; Work Various
Posts: 133
Up to 11 Million

Dear Pete,

Ordered coupons for my sister today, 6/27/2008 .

Reference # 11,461,003 .

Mail Date : 7/18/2008 .

How many I wonder are left ?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.