Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Reece's Avatar
Reece Reece is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cleona, PA
Posts: 2,178
I was always interested in electrical/mechanical things from an early age. When I was a toddler, to keep me occupied they would give me an unplugged electric fan and I would twirl the blades and watch how the oscillator mechanism worked. My sister and I would listen to "Let's Pretend" on the Emerson...I'm talking about 1945! and little Reecie would look inside the back and see the glowing lights, and smell the wonderful smell, and watch the thing with plates move in and out when the station was changed.

When I was elementary school age in the 50's my Dad and a couple of uncles helped me get started in electricity and soon with a crystal set. Then I got a WHOLE BUNCH of tubes and parts from my uncle who had experimented with it all in the 1930's. Soon I was gathering old radios, stripping them for parts, and building radios of all kinds. I built speakers, turntables, even a clandestine transmitter or two, mostly from scrounged parts. I had antennas strung all over the yard, and a neighborhood telephone system.

Collecting and restoring radios, then, waited a long time until about five years ago when the bug bit me. I have found sets locally and on ebay. I really like basket cases as there is so much to do! I managed to find two models of long-lost childhood radios, including the 1937 Emerson that my sister and I listened to. It brought tears to both of our eyes when we saw it and heard it sing again.

Reece
__________________
Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2004, 10:51 PM
tubesrgood
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
When I was about 7 years old (many,many years ago!)A radio repair shop opened up on my block.I looked in the shop window one day and have been hooked ever since.I still recall the battery display signs and wooden cabinet radios I saw there.
Our living room Philco cathedral likewise fascinated me.I remember so well,the warm,woody smell and being fascinated by the glow in the tubes.

Hey Bgadow!I see that I am not the only ARF person here!I still owe you a buck for the VTVM manual which I will send you shortly.
Malcolm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2004, 09:09 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
Malcolm, this is where the real radio-and especially tv-nuts hang out!

You can save the dollar until I find something else to sell you! Still got to go through the projectors up in the attic...someday...
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2004, 02:56 PM
tubesrgood
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow
Malcolm, this is where the real radio-and especially tv-nuts hang out!

You can save the dollar until I find something else to sell you! Still got to go through the projectors up in the attic...someday...
Well,I do love radios and my psychiatrist will testify that I have several loose screws in what is still left of my original brain,so I guess I should feel right at home here!
I see that this forum has first class,up to date,and very intuitive software with lots of easy to use and time saving features that make it a pleasure to work with!It is as though the software authors anticipated,ahead of time,every move a user might need to make and added a built-in gadget to cover it.

OK,I will donate that buck to an xmass charity instead

Yup,still looking forward to the projector stuff possibility,whenever it happens.
Malcolm
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.