Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 PM
waltchan waltchan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog1983 View Post
Let me know next time you see a listing for a PV-1730! I could use one for parts at least if it's not working...

I don't see any of these or the GE, Magnavox or Sylvania variants on ebay.

Good news is while browsing for the Panasonic I found a nice old NEC Hi-Fi unit and bidded on it, if I win it that will take care of one on my wanted list of cool 1980s VCRs! It's a NEC N965U.
Sure, not a problem. There was one GE for sale over this summer, but the ad was relisted 3 times until finally someone bought it. I haven't seen the Magnavox of it for 3 years now, and the last one showed up was the one I sold (I did own it before). There was the first Sylvania of it that listed on August 2008 (sorry you missed it), and I bought it, but it arrived with a cracked front display. It works great though. I need to find a replacement front display. Of all the four, the Magnavox had the highest MSRP, with Sylvania next in the line, then GE, and then Panasonic. Believe it or not, the Panasonic was the cheapest, and that lead to be the best seller of this chassis. I do own the Panasonic PV-1730 as well, and it is in super like-new condition with the original ad sticker, box, packing, manual, cables, bag, and remote. The original owner told me it was used only once a year, which means only 24 times in 24 years.

The NEC N965U is a very nice, high-end VHS model. Fairly easy to find, but there are no replacement parts at all (not even the original NEC belts).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 PM
jfrog1983 jfrog1983 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 75
Mine works, but is very rough and is missing the front covers, and I've already had to reoil the video head cylinder bearing.

It seems someone else wants that N965U, and bidded 3 times but hasn't reached my proxy yet!

Keep coming across some cool VCRs on the bay, a buy it now Panasonic AG-5210 for $20, think I'll pick one up to play with. It has the K chassis, I don't know much about that particular Panasonic chassis, but I assume it's pretty well built since it's a commercial VCR.

Edit: Found out the K chassis is a revision of the G chassis but with a third loading motor and a simpler gear system to facilitate tape loading functions. Also won the NEC N965U!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
waltchan waltchan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog1983 View Post
Mine works, but is very rough and is missing the front covers, and I've already had to reoil the video head cylinder bearing.

It seems someone else wants that N965U, and bidded 3 times but hasn't reached my proxy yet!

Keep coming across some cool VCRs on the bay, a buy it now Panasonic AG-5210 for $20, think I'll pick one up to play with. It has the K chassis, I don't know much about that particular Panasonic chassis, but I assume it's pretty well built since it's a commercial VCR.

Edit: Found out the K chassis is a revision of the G chassis but with a third loading motor and a simpler gear system to facilitate tape loading functions. Also won the NEC N965U!!!
The K-chassis is an upgraded chassis of the G-chassis that is capable for jog shuttle editing. This chassis is found in Panasonic PV-S4990 and AG-1960. It also comes with high speed rewind/forward, something that G-chassis doesn't have. There is a separate reverse motor that drags the tape backward with its nylon teeth belt.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.