Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Richard D's Avatar
Richard D Richard D is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami FL.
Posts: 274
Omnivision

I thought Omnivision was the company that made the Cinema 180 inflatable dome theaters lenses and films in the mid 1970's. Anybody remember those?
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2009, 02:10 AM
waltchan waltchan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 571
Nice 1988 Mitsubishi HS-413UR Hi-Fi with all its accessories. Second highest-end model after HS-423UR SVHS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220357548115
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 AM
waltchan waltchan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 571
New winner of a VCR tha will last forever...

I like to announce a new winner of a VCR that will last forever. Originally, it was Panasonic AG-2100 video cassette player, but now, General Electric 1VCP6020X video cassette player is now my top rated unit. It's a top-loading 2-head mono video cassette player made in 1985 by Panasonic. The extra points I gave for the General Electric 1VCP6020X is top-loading feature:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260353947844

Extremely simple-designed machine, and most surprising is it comes with a linear power supply. It may last for 100 years.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM
jfrog1983 jfrog1983 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 75
I've got a new search, and that's for a Hitachi 4 head Hi-Fi stereo with the reliable 6 belt chassis.

Wow, I've never seen people go so crazy over a 2 head mono VCR, 41 bids!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
...

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
My first VCR, bought new in 1984, was a Panasonic-built GE. It worked very well the six years I had it, but the heads finally wore out. However, the rest of the deck was in very good shape. Should have had it repaired, as I paid some $400 for it.

BTW, I saw another listing for a Magnavox (Philips?) VCR on the same page as the GE we're discussing. I had a Maggie VCR almost exactly like that one in the early 1990s. Like my GE unit, the Magnavox lasted just about five years before the heads wore out. The rest of the deck was probably still in excellent condition. My Magnavox deck was one of those VCRs that was ready to play out of the box (almost), as all one had to do was connect the antenna/cable, connect it to the TV, plug it in, and the machine would do its own setup--channel mapping, clock set; then it would be ready to go.

By the 1990s almost all VCRs were plug-and-play, with no setup of any kind required (except, of course, for the hookup to the TV and the signal source, be it cable or OTA antenna). Today's VHS/DVD players are probably even simpler yet to connect, as they do not have RF tuners, only needing a connection to the TV's A/V jacks or an RF modulator, the latter for older sets without such jacks. However, the darn things (not unlike VCRs by the '90s, until they went out of production) are made with cheap plastic parts and will not last much longer than the warranty period. I recently read in a post on FixYa.com that stated even today's DVD players won't last very long; specifically, Memorex-branded players have a cheap capacitor that swells and splits open after about nine months, a year at the outside. The reason? The firms that make these DVD players make them to sell cheaply, so they cannot use quality parts in them. (I had a CyberHome DVD player that lasted three years, then stopped reading discs; I swear, it was built more solidly than the player I bought last year to replace it.) I'm concerned about this (the possibility of premature failure), as I bought a Memorex DVD player for about $40 from Big Lots last summer. It works well at the moment, but I'm not looking forward to having to replace the machine this year.

Who actually manufactures Memorex-branded DVD players? Memorex itself was originally an audio-tape manufacturing firm, eventually, as technology evolved, branching out to video tape and compact discs--not to mention blank DVDs.

I seriously doubt, however, that Memorex was ever directly involved in the manufacture of DVD players; as a matter of fact, I think their DVD players are rebadged machines (like everything else these days) made by Orion or some other offshore manufacturer.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
waltchan waltchan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Who actually manufactures Memorex-branded DVD players? Memorex itself was originally an audio-tape manufacturing firm, eventually, as technology evolved, branching out to video tape and compact discs--not to mention blank DVDs.

I seriously doubt, however, that Memorex was ever directly involved in the manufacture of DVD players; as a matter of fact, I think their DVD players are rebadged machines (like everything else these days) made by Orion or some other offshore manufacturer.
Memorex DVD players are made by Changhong in China while the DVD/VCR combos are made by Orion.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
waltchan waltchan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog1983 View Post
I've got a new search, and that's for a Hitachi 4 head Hi-Fi stereo with the reliable 6 belt chassis.
Is that the 3+2 Hi-Fi Hitachi VT-1700A on eBay right now? I used to own one, but I donated to Goodwill after I received my 5+2 Hi-Fi as a replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 AM
jfrog1983 jfrog1983 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 75
I have a beat up 3+2 Hi-Fi, I could grab that one on ebay since it's most likely in better condition, has a remote, and is a different model than the one I have, and yes I am looking for one of the 7 head units.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
markdi markdi is offline
markdi
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 232
so is there such a beast as a 8 head vcr ?

who made a 7 head ?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.