![]() |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Julian, I was very surprised to read in your post that loopstick antenna coils are no longer manufactured. These coils were, at one time, very popular in transistor radios and even mounted on the back covers of expensive stereo hi-fi receivers. If new-in-box loopsticks cannot be found these days, what do today's AM radios use as antennas? I know many small FM receivers use the headphone cord as an antenna (I have an FM scanning radio that uses the headphone cable this way), but what about the AM sections of today's cheap plastic AM/FM radios? They have to be using something as an AM antenna; maybe they use the same headphone cord for that band as well as for FM.....? ![]() Sixty bucks seems to me to be an awfully (even ridiculously, IMHO) high opening bid for a small collection of 50+-year-old loopsticks. I think this seller is either very new to eBay or else just wants to get as much money as he can from the sale, not unlike so many other eBay listings I've seen for radios in such bad shape they are useful only for parts. I've also seen eBay listings for radios that state the unit is "for parts only" (with a very unrealistic opening bid in some cases), when the item description clearly states that the only thing wrong with the set is a dry-rotted line cord, a bad tube, or some other easily-repaired problem. My best guess is that many (or even most) of these listings are posted by people who know little or nothing about radio, TV or electronics, and think that just because a radio or TV is 50-odd years old and has a defective line cord, bad tubes, or other small problems, it is junk. This may well be the case with the seller of those loopstick coils. The person posting this listing may not know what he or she is looking at, but regardless wants to get top dollar for them. The condition of these loopsticks, moreover, is unknown. They are listed as "new old stock", but after having been sitting around who knows where for who knows how many years or decades, the windings may be defective or shorted, the cores are probably brittle as all get out....I wouldn't trust them in any circuit I was building, experimental or otherwise, or as a replacement for a loopstick in one of my vintage transistor radios, without testing the windings with my ohmmeter first. Again, in my opinion, they are not worth $60--the final bid may be, Heaven forbid, much higher (!), but they are certainly not worth anywhere near that, IMO (however high the final bid may be), either. Good grief.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002 Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten. |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|