Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Hokieman's Avatar
Hokieman Hokieman is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 18
As an engineer, I like Mythbusters because they do actually use some decent science, physics, and engineering in their demonstrations. While I do not always agree 100% with their conclusions or methods, in general, they follow a pretty defensible procedure in their individual demonstrations.

I remember the sniper through the eye episode. If I was them, I'd have reached the same conclusion. When a guy fires a .30-06 steel jacketed round directly through a three piece scope from a distance of about 25 feet, and it doesn't penetrate completely, hey, what can you say? I believe they even tried the high-powered civilian model of the rifle used by Haycock as well. I believe the Marines on the Haycock Vietnam episode, but that doesn't mean it would happen every time.

As I type this, another thought occurs. In another episode, they tested being shot under (through) water with rifles and pistols. Turns out that you're much safer if the bad guy is using a high powered (supersonic) round than a slower sub-sonic pistol round. Seems the supersonic round breaks up and fragments due to a supersonic shock wave effect at the front of the bullet as it enters the water. With the slower pistol round, it can much more easily bore its way through the water without catastrophically breaking up on impact. I wonder if the same effect happened during Mythbusters' sniper test, and the high speed round fired from close in did the same thing breaking up immediately from supersonic shock wave disruption, while Haycock's much slower round from a long distance bored right on through. Hmmm....
__________________
Dave
Pioneer SX-980, HK570i, HK680i, HK 750, PM660
Dual 506, B&O Beogram 1700 TT, HK200 Tape, HK TU915 Tuner
JBL 4311b, L110, EPI 202, CV VS-120
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Alaric Alaric is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: in my own little world
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokieman View Post
As an engineer, I like Mythbusters because they do actually use some decent science, physics, and engineering in their demonstrations. While I do not always agree 100% with their conclusions or methods, in general, they follow a pretty defensible procedure in their individual demonstrations.

I remember the sniper through the eye episode. If I was them, I'd have reached the same conclusion. When a guy fires a .30-06 steel jacketed round directly through a three piece scope from a distance of about 25 feet, and it doesn't penetrate completely, hey, what can you say? I believe they even tried the high-powered civilian model of the rifle used by Haycock as well. I believe the Marines on the Haycock Vietnam episode, but that doesn't mean it would happen every time.

As I type this, another thought occurs. In another episode, they tested being shot under (through) water with rifles and pistols. Turns out that you're much safer if the bad guy is using a high powered (supersonic) round than a slower sub-sonic pistol round. Seems the supersonic round breaks up and fragments due to a supersonic shock wave effect at the front of the bullet as it enters the water. With the slower pistol round, it can much more easily bore its way through the water without catastrophically breaking up on impact. I wonder if the same effect happened during Mythbusters' sniper test, and the high speed round fired from close in did the same thing breaking up immediately from supersonic shock wave disruption, while Haycock's much slower round from a long distance bored right on through. Hmmm....
Also , Hathcock didn't intentionally make the shot. He saw the glint and reacted before the NVA sniper could squeeze the trigger. Mythbusters may have proved it's unlikely on purpose , but it is possible.
All things considered , it's a good show.
__________________
Lee

Marantz-PM7200 , SA8260 , ST6000
Paradigm-Studio 60v.3
Music Hall-mmf-5SE
Bellari-VP-129
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Indian Head's Avatar
Indian Head Indian Head is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 83
If I recall correctly, Mythbusters got so many emails about their sniper test that in a later episode went back and were able to duplicate the actual event.

But crystal radio sets?!?!? That's not a one-time story or myth. That's just history with so much obvious evidence. Now I want to see that episode!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.