Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 AM
mbates14 mbates14 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,016
Yea, thats a nice looking set! looks to me, there is a dosen more to go through!

My grandmas 50th anniversary color from RCA looks similar to that, but its a rectangle tube, with folding wood doors. still plays perfect today, tube has been replaced. looks very similar.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 AM
mbates14 mbates14 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,016
id like to have that B&W roundie I see over to the extream right. That would be nice to have.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
Last night, I jerked the HV tubes and brought it up on the variac. I never made it past 85 volts because i could feel, hear, and smell one of the lytic cans getting hot. I was still able to tune in audio pretty good, so, looks like this cool-cat will be coming back to life!

Just got off the phone with Moyer's... ordered a new flyback. I was in luck... got the last Thoradson they had on the shelf for this model.

I had examined the old flyback a little closer last night. It looks like it had some serious issues. Melted wax, burn marks, corroded wire going to the 3A3.

Did a quick clean-up job of the cabinet. It's looking much better. I will go over it again later paying more attention to detail.
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
Name?

Does anyone happen to know the name of this model? Model number listed on the back is 14G896MV.
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
a little progress

Tonight I decided to pull the chassis from this RCA. The flyback was toast, so I swapped it out with a good one I pulled from another chassis. Underneath, I found a terminal strip that nearly fell apart. Looked like it got baked from a nearby 10 watt resistor. Had to replaced all the wires that became brittle, replaced the terminal strip, and repositioned the resistor to the side of the strip instead of directly underneath it. Changed most of the lytics... still got one can left to go.

Was quite late, so, I decided to go ahead and plug it all in to see how things were. Got high voltage and a picture on the screen, but the raster only fills about half of it. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a full raster because I did change the 50@150 on the verticle board. In the past, I've always found most verticle height problems are corrected when changing this particular lytic. Oh well... I at least have something so far. The horizontal doesn't lock... it seems to be off just a tad.

As far as color... not doing good there yet. Two of the tubes on the color board wont light up... a demodulator and the osc. Tried changing them, but still wont light. Maybe the sockets just need some spray in them. I'll dig around for that later.

Although I haven't hooked up the meters to check it, it seems the flyback is running nice and cool. At least that much is good.

At least I've got it running and nothing's smokin yet. Still got plenty of work to do on it... not to mention need to take off the safety glass so I can clean out all of the old crap that held it in place at one time.

Stay tuned.
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 01-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
By name do you mean like the "Grenoble" or the "Harlequin", etc...I'll look in my RCA field service guide and see if I can find it.
__________________
Chad Hauris
http://www.youtube.com/user/retrochad
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.