![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
CTC-5 Super series "Westcott"
John,
Welcome to the forum. As Steve K. mentioned, I have the RCA CTC-5 brochure posted on my web page. It contains your Westcott model. http://community.webtv.net/stevetek/StevesCT100 Scroll down the page to the CTC-5 section. -Steve
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site: http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/ Last edited by Steve D.; 02-23-2005 at 10:39 PM. |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
LOL Sandy! I appreciate your generous offer to unburden me of the CTC-5. Maybe when the Coyote finally gets the Roadrunner...
Thanks for your help Steves D, and K. Steve D, I'm familiar with your fantastic site (would love to have a working CT-100 someday), and yes, this set is definitely a Westcott. But my confusion is based on confilicting information found on different parts of the set. The model number on the back panel corresponds as expected to the Westcott model that it is, 21CT7857. Go to the SAM'S website and type in the Westcott model number 21CT7857. According to the site, the correct Photofact for that model is number is 353-11. So far, so good. YET, after opening the back cover, I find, handwritten on the high voltage box, "SAMS 358-9." While on the SAM'S site, if you type in that number 358-9, the first corresponding model number that comes up is 21CD7895. Now, according to the info I initially found on Ed Reitan's site, that particular model number corresponds to the Whitby, a Deluxe model, NOT the Super series Westcott. The following applicable model numbers overwhelmingly seem to be for Deluxe models. Way down on the list is generically, CTC-5, among others, but nowhere on that list is the model number for the Wescott. So we have indications pointing to different models, unless I'm missing something. Why would someone write a SAM'S number for a Deluxe model on a Super chassis? Is there any way I can determine the difference between a Super and Deluxe chassis in a cursory visual inspection? Does the "CTC5D" stamped on the chassis mean anything in particular? Would either SAM'S sheet be applicable for my set? Don't get me wrong. I'm not all excited that this might be some "rare and desirable" variant on the CTC-5. I am very happy with this set and its performance as a humble Super. :-) I just want to make certain that I will be getting the proper schematic for it, especially in the unlikely event that some undocumented substitution may have been made. My suspicion is increasingly that some repairman who may have serviced this set (too many times?) wrote that number as a quick reference for himself, and that was the closest SAM'S set he had on hand. If pictures of anything inside the set will help with proper identification. I can post them. Thanks again everyone for your generosity in sharing info. John |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
John,
The CTC-5D stamped on the chassis indicates a Super series chassis. The Super chassis has on the lower back of the chassis 2 pots: A killer threshold control and a vertical centering control. The Deluxe chassis has 3 pots on the lower part of the chassis: A combo AGC threshold/control, a vertical centering control and at the far right, a matrix balance control. I don't know why the Sam's Deluxe chassis folder # was written on the inside. The differences between the Super and Deluxe chassis were significant. Especially in the chroma section. Perhaps you can post a picture of your Westcott in operation. -Steve
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site: http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/ Last edited by Steve D.; 02-23-2005 at 11:30 PM. |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
John:
Steve is correct on the differences between the super and deluxe chassis. Another quick way to tell what chassis you have is to look at the area of the chassis just beneath the picture tube socket. The deluxe chassis has a vertical circuit board with three 10 watt resistors on it. The Super chassis had the codes: CTC5,CTC5A,CTC5B,CTC5C,CTC5D and CTC5E, the Deluxe chassis are the CTC5N,CTC5P,CTC5R,CTC5T,CTC5U,CTC5W,CTC5AA, and CTC5BB. Steve K |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|