Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Wow! What happened to the heater...all that I have ever seen are a "double helix looking" design. Did it just fall apart when you pulled it out or was it really deformed during processing somehow?

(please pardon the crummy scan)

jr
I wish I knew. It was that way before I pulled it out though. Because it was so deformed it wouldn't slide out easily and that's why the leads broke off.

John
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-31-2009, 05:56 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
I have seen a few that have developed H-K shorts where the heater has "welded" itself to the inside of the cathode nickle, and have been very difficult to remove without distorting/breaking... did this crt have a H-K short? Most of the heaters that I have seen after years of service look pretty much like the picture that I posted above, although they may "darken" somewhat over the life of the tube.

jr
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 PM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I have seen a few that have developed H-K shorts where the heater has "welded" itself to the inside of the cathode nickle, and have been very difficult to remove without distorting/breaking... did this crt have a H-K short? Most of the heaters that I have seen after years of service look pretty much like the picture that I posted above, although they may "darken" somewhat over the life of the tube.

jr
I sent two tubes to Scotty for rebuild and I don't know which gun he sent back to me. One of them did have a heater/cathode short and a G1 short. The other only a G1 short. It could have been this one. It appears that this heater/cathode was severly overheated. That could have been from a brightener, or if turns of the heater had shorted, that could have caused the overheating also.

The 10MP4 in my Sylvania is orginal. The striking thing I notice about it is that's its heater is a very dull cherry red. Not nearly the amost white that I see in other CRTs. I wonder if that's contributed to its longevity. It still performs very well.

John
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Bill Cahill's Avatar
Bill Cahill Bill Cahill is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl.
Posts: 1,298
Post

The gun in my dud 10BP4 in my Bendix tv has an interesting look.
The part of the gun closest to the filament is black. The other part in front is a bluish yellow.
Is this from shorts, or, burn out. ? Filament still lights.
Bill Cahill
__________________
"Tubes are those little glass things that light up orange unless there is a short.. Then they light up all pretty colors..."
Please join my forum.
http://www.tuberadioforum.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
I can only guess. It sounds like it is gassy, but not up to air. The color is probably due to an oxide layer. The thinner layers produce vivid colors by interference. When it gets thick it just looks black. The part by the filament would get the hottest and have the thickest layer.

Is part of the phosphor on the screen missing or is there a burn in the screen? If the screen had a bad burn from losing the vertical scan it could produce gasses including sulphur.

John
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.