Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
I picked up cabinet from my parent's 1-128 Sylvania over Thanksgiving. It survived the trailer ride well.



The console is supposed to look like this:



Here's the outside front:



The finish isn't too bad. Where it's thin it has a more reddish color.



My dad had converted it into a cedar chest to store linens.





Restoring it to use the 1-108 chassis that I have that is common to the 1-076 10" and 1-128 12" consoles shouldn't be too difficult.

I had ordered some NOPP film from a US company, but the actual shipment came from Jakarta and was boxed in some fairly high grade luan/mahogany plywood. I'll see if that works for the panel. I also need to pick up some small pieces of solid mahogany.

The biggest problem is that he cut slots in the trim for the cedar.



Since the finish is so dark, I may be able to just fill it and stain it. The recent thread on molding trims/molding will be helpful here.

If you were really observant you'll have noticed that there were supposed to be rosettes at the upper corners which don't appear on my cabinet. I vaguely remember them being there, but there are no signs of them being removed. I think they would have been attached rather than milled into the boards. The rosettes are raised and it would have required milling much wood away. They may have even been metal like the pulls.

The style of this cabinet is Hepplewhite, or so claims Sylvania.

I'm getting closer to getting my childhood set finished. I may convert the 1-076 cabinet into a cedar chest using the cedar from this cabinet after I'm done. I'll never be able to find parts to make a complete 1-076 or 1-128 without gutting one of them. Fortunately, beside the cabinet the only things that are different between the two are the CRT, band to clamp the CRT, and the bezel.

John
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
ohohyodafarted's Avatar
ohohyodafarted ohohyodafarted is offline
Bob Galanter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Whitefish Bay, Wi (Milwaukee)
Posts: 1,080
You are doing an awsome job John. When this is finished you will accomplished something very wonderful, especially considering the obsticles that have been in your way.

This is the first I have seen the postings about the mold you had made. What a spectacular piece of machining. Must have taken a lot of work to polish that to such a beautiful mirror finish.

If you look around at some of the woodworking web sites, I think you may be able to find wooden rosettes that might approximate the ones that are missing. Just google wooden rosettes. The first hit I got can make 13,000 different historic designs.

Bob
__________________
Vacuum tubes are used in Wisconsin to help heat your house.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.