Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 PM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
Roger Dreyfoos suggested that the rosette was made of Repwood and not carved. After examining it closely, I'm pretty sure that's correct.

That will make it easy to reproduce and has killed my immediate desire to obtain a Carvewright. I've ordered some Equinox 35 silicone putty to take an impression and make a mold.

I've also ordered some Mohawk toning lacquer in three different shades of mahogany to try out. Hopefully one will match the existing finish.

John
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
Here's a test of making a mold to copy an appliqué. I decided to try it on an appliqué on a Majestic 71 radio. It's about 1" long. The radio was refinished by the previous owner and that might account the the old finish around the piece.

I mixed up Equinox 35, which is a silicone putty and applied it. I removed it after letting it sit for the demold time of 7 minutes. I was surprised to see that no air was trapped.

I then mixed up some Bix staining putty and used that to copy the piece. The rough surface is due to micro bubbles that I didn't realize had formed when I added the water and mixed up the putty. If I use this in the future I will need to degas it. Otherwise I might use an epoxy instead.

The final photo shows the part next to the original after spraying with lacquer. The difference in color is because I only had mahogany toned lacquer when the original is walnut.

The rough surface is unacceptable so I will need to work on this some more, but the mold was easy to make and is more than satisfactory.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg applique.jpg (134.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg equinox35.jpg (137.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Mold_Part.jpg (110.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg finished.jpg (132.1 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.