Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
WoW you guys got cool toys......... Can I come over and play at your house....

Actually I was wondering what a lot of you guys are using on the way of IF alignment. I imagine after changinh all the caps in a set alignment is a must, and since I got two candidates for all caps to be replaced I knew I was going to have to start looking at alignment tools so I'm happy to see you all posting your cool toys! !

I'm going to make a work table as well. It looks like a lot of the alignment toys take up quite a bit of space. I know they all don't need to be out all the time, looks like you all have limited space on the bench?!?!?

Besides If I leave my tools out, the squirrels will chew off the knobs. Ind I'de never be able to keep up with fixing the probe wires.

If I had my choice though, I would want a setup like the power consumption room on Forbidden Planet where the entire wall had meters and junk like that.

Thanks for all of you who continue to post your toys, model numbers, and special features of each.

LOL - I just took all 3 out just for the photo op. Normally, I just have the 615 up on the shelf. I've been lucky so far and never had to align the RF and video IF stages in a set - only the audio. I think if you avoid touching the RF/IF coils or small valued mica/ceramic caps you won't need an alignment.

I have a Hallicrafters 506 up on the bench right now. I think I'll try out the EICO just to see what kind of response curve it produces.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Maybe I've been lucky (or I'm not that fussy), but of the two dozen or so TVs that I've restored, only one seemed to need alignment. I took it to a guy whose shop is a place of wonder. Laid off from another job, now he refurbishes scopes and other test equipment whose purpose I barely grasp.

TV alignment is still on my list of things to learn after I grow up. I finally got a decent scope (from said guy), which is a start. I inherited a B&K 415 sweep/marker generator last year, but it only does 40MHz+, so I should trade it for something that can do older sets.

Phil Nelson
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.