Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Doh! I thought you were using the 19" tube for some reason.

I have another dumb suggestion, is the heater lit on the test tube?

I've chased my tail a few times looking for something else only to find i had a dirty CRT socket.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
Could the doorknob cap be leaking HV, shunting it to ground? I once had a tv with low HV, it turns out the chassis was leaking HV to a metal rail that was part of the table it was sitting on! I measured about 9kv on the lead, and the table rail read about 1 kv.

Another possibility to explore-is that the proper flyback in the set? With all the hacked repairs someone was doing on the hv section, they may have been trying to put in a different flyback (hence the single doorknob cap-like they were trying to emulate the circuit the replacement fly came from?)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Doh! I thought you were using the 19" tube for some reason.

I have another dumb suggestion, is the heater lit on the test tube?

I've chased my tail a few times looking for something else only to find i had a dirty CRT socket.
Yeah, it is - I wish it was that simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadlike View Post
Could the doorknob cap be leaking HV, shunting it to ground? I once had a tv with low HV, it turns out the chassis was leaking HV to a metal rail that was part of the table it was sitting on! I measured about 9kv on the lead, and the table rail read about 1 kv.

Another possibility to explore-is that the proper flyback in the set? With all the hacked repairs someone was doing on the hv section, they may have been trying to put in a different flyback (hence the single doorknob cap-like they were trying to emulate the circuit the replacement fly came from?)
Good call. I hadn't checked that before. It's a Thordarson FLY-40 which is actually the correct replacement for the original Motorola #24C792691.

I'll fire up my EICO 944 flyback & yoke tester and check it out. Might as well check the yoke too while I'm at it.


Here's another look at the darkened area Eric noticed earlier. It looks like there may have been some arcing in the past.


I think I can pull some doorknob caps out of my Admiral 19A15S. Someone replaced the old 6KV paper caps with several of them I've been meaning to replace them with some nice ASC plastic HV caps. Might as well do it now.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.