Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2010, 11:32 AM
ChuckA's Avatar
ChuckA ChuckA is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 447
Yes I restored my 901 a few years ago. The only real problem I had was with the HV board, it had burn tracks from the HV arcing across connections. I was able to get a replacement from a donor set. The rest of the restoration went pretty smooth.

I had the spherical mirror re silvered by Clausing in Chicago.

I have a lot of "donor" parts if you need anything when working on you set.

Chuck
__________________
www.myvintagetv.com

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 PM
TubeType's Avatar
TubeType TubeType is offline
TubeType Sets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Starlight, IN; Kauai, HI
Posts: 150
1947 GE Model 901

Thanks Chuck,

This 901 appears to be in pretty good shape. Nothing appears to be missing or damaged. The finish is like new. The previous owner said the pilot light lens was missing. I'll let you know if I need one from your "donor" set. Thanks for the offer.
This set came with a spare NOS 5TP4; thank God. The getters on the original 5TP4 are white, but the phosphor looks to be in great shape. It’s a good candidate for a rebuild.
I've heard of Clausing Coatings, but have never used them for my mirrors. Will they strip the old coating? Will they re-paint the black, non-reflective, disc in the center of the mirror? What are their rates?

Thanks again
__________________

Caretaker: RCA CT-100
Terry's Tube-Type Sets
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2010, 11:57 AM
ChuckA's Avatar
ChuckA ChuckA is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 447
Luckily 5TP4's are fairly common, don't think I'd waste the money on rebuilding one at this time (maybe in the next lifetime). I think I have 6-8 of them around here.

Clausing is a bit more expensive than this place Spectrum Coatings in FL

(http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/)

I paid around $225 for my 901 mirror about 4 years ago. I just brushed some flat black paint for the center.

Chuck
__________________
www.myvintagetv.com

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.