Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Dave,

What is the "power factor" you refer to - and how do you test it?

I've heard of value, ESR, leakage, and dielectric absorption tests for e caps, but this is the first I've heard of power factor.

Cheers,
I use an old heatkit condenser check (uses an eye tube, and a balanced bridge cirsuit for check caps) good of vintage gear esp leakage test at rated voltage, but can not check caps in circuit. there is a "power factor" adjustment, you turn to null the eye tube, which I think is about the same as ESR.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Findm-Keepm's Avatar
Findm-Keepm Findm-Keepm is offline
Followin' the Rules...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I use an old heatkit condenser check (uses an eye tube, and a balanced bridge cirsuit for check caps) good of vintage gear esp leakage test at rated voltage, but can not check caps in circuit. there is a "power factor" adjustment, you turn to null the eye tube, which I think is about the same as ESR.
Aw geez, now I gotta buy anudder piece of equipment. Jes' when you think you have everything.....

Thanks! I've got some old Heath stuff - I'll have to see what I've got stashed away. I may have one of them varmits. Probably similar to my Sprague tester's eye tube checks - some kind of reactance vs value check.

Cheers,
__________________
Brian
USN RET 22YRS (Avionics/Cal)
CET-Consumer Repair and Avionics ('88)
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
I think I may have found the vert prob, after going thru every cap (all good) I finally did a swap on one of the vert out transistors, but now the stupid converter box is on the fritiz so I cant get a signal to check it out on. I cant believe what pure junk these DTV boxes are, this is the second one that went out, less than a year old. I have other video RF sources, but it will have to wait for a bit.

I did a quick check last nite and it looked fixed, so I was going to check again this am.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM
sampson159's Avatar
sampson159 sampson159 is offline
sampson159
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: columbus,ohio
Posts: 2,170
good job.those vertical transistors can have dirty socket issues.had more than a few.post more pics.the crt looks sharp and bright.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Zenith26kc20's Avatar
Zenith26kc20 Zenith26kc20 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 857
Watch out for the vertical controls. I have replaced many of them for the problems you describe.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
the little pots on the back of the pcb? should I try an test them in circuit?

I have cleaned the transistor sockets, and the serv switch.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
I guess the smart thing to do would be to touch those pots when it acts up...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.