Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #10  
Old 10-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
I would bet that transformer is salvageable.

I fixed one from a 10" set and it operates at about 10kv, it just up and quit on me in the middle of a recap, the ohms were fine so I figured it was just leaking between the windings.

What I did to fix it:

1. Removed it from the chassis and washed it several times in a tub of hot soapy water, I used something called Ascot Purple Cleaner but 409 or similar would probably work as well.

The reason for failure was obvious, tons of brown murky goo came out of it, probably Cigarette Tar and dust since the set was missing the HV cover and had probably run uncovered for a long time.

2. Rinsed it thoroughly several times until it stopped foaming when gently blow dried with compressed air (be very careful not to blow it apart!)

3. Dried it in the Oven at 180 for about 30 mins.

4. Let it sit overnight in a dry warm place to get all the moisture out, then sprayed it generously with some of this---> Insulating Epoxy Coating I let it run like water to get inside the windings, repeated that two or three times to get a good thick coating, let it dry and gave it a try, it worked good as new!

Last edited by Eric H; 10-31-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.