Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 AM
ohohyodafarted's Avatar
ohohyodafarted ohohyodafarted is offline
Bob Galanter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Whitefish Bay, Wi (Milwaukee)
Posts: 1,080
Beautiful work Lee! Attention to detail is nothing short of astounding.

Please tell us about your methodology in restoration. What kind of techniques to you use WRT cabinet refinishing, and chassis detail etc. Would also love to see chassis underside photos.

Way to go man!
__________________
Vacuum tubes are used in Wisconsin to help heat your house.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 AM
M3-SRT8's Avatar
M3-SRT8 M3-SRT8 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Worcester, Mass
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Beautiful work Lee! Attention to detail is nothing short of astounding.

Please tell us about your methodology in restoration. What kind of techniques to you use WRT cabinet refinishing, and chassis detail etc. Would also love to see chassis underside photos.

Way to go man!
Thanks...I work step by step, bagging and recording as I disassemble, restore, and reassemble. Final Reassembly is usually quite anticlimactic, as all the parts, fasteners, bezels, cabinet, chassis, etc have been all restored.

I usually disassemble, label and bag. With the Chassis on the bench, I check for a good/bad CRT, power up the chassis with a variac to hear a transformer hum, tubes light, etc. You guys know the drill. Total recapping, pots and controls cleaned, tubes checked/cleaned/replaced, ww's and resistors checked, etc, then troubleshooting.

I have help. Troubleshooting is my biggest shortfall, as I am not a trained engineer. For the final tweak, Henri Cournoyer and Dick Slade, good buddies that they are, have bailed me out on many occasion. You Guys, too. This site is a Godsend.

I think the difference with me is I will restore EVERY part to near or like new condition, but as authentically as possible. The devil is in the details. I have to watch myself to see that I don't over restore a set, particularly one with an origional finish on the wood cabinet. You have to make it all blend as an assembly.

Last edited by M3-SRT8; 11-21-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.