Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
oldtvman's Avatar
oldtvman oldtvman is offline
Larry Melton (oldtvman)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
Posts: 786
I still have my porta color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The 1st color set we had was a rather dreadful Sears oddball 17" or so mini-console...It had a rectangular-ish screeen, Sonny Clutter had one on his site several years ago, it was sposed to be the 1st rectangular set. Anyhow, it would frequently "Tear up" before the Sears repair guy got outta the driveway good...My dad replaced it w/one of the 1st Porta-Colors in fall '65 or early '66...Little guy was a TROUPER...It was on, frequently 12-18 hrs a day, 7 days a week..Say what you will about Porta-Pottys, OURS was tough as nails....We finally replaced it w/a Trinitron in '72 or '73....
As soon as I saw the ad for the Ge porta-color I went to the local tv store and bought one I still have the set today. For what it was it was an amazing little tv for the time.
__________________
[IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Steve D.'s Avatar
Steve D. Steve D. is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywood Hills, Ca.
Posts: 1,792
I first viewed a color show in 1954. It was "Life with Father" on CBS. It was telecast live from CBS TV City in Hollywood. I remember how small the screen was compared to the b&w sets on display. It was the first west to east coast series to be telecast in color. The TV store I watched the program on was about a mile from CBS TV City. The first color set we had in our home was an RCA CTC-5 Aldrich model.

-Steve D.
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.