Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
ctc17 ctc17 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,615
Im not familiar with that specific set, but I have run accross several bad video detector diodes.
You can NOT use a 1n4004 and it will not test like a 4004.
A 4004, using diode test on a multi meter will read about .500-.600mv, the diode thats in there is Germanium and will read .200-.300mv one direction and open the other direction.
You may be able to use a modern silicon detector diode, the 1n4004 is not even close to high enough frequency to work as a detector.

When they fail they cause a whole bunch of weird problems depending on if they get leaky, short or open. Everything form buzzing and sync issues to poor color performance and ghosting.

I have been using 1N34 or 1N60 as a replacement for these. They are a germanium diode and work just fine.

I just looked on ebay and you can buy these numbers for like 10 for $1

Last edited by ctc17; 12-16-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
I am bringing back another old thread as I am TRYING to get some things fixed since you can't hardly give away a nice old set it seems. I would like to thin my collection or radios and TVS if anyone can pick up in southern VA. Anyway, in the interim I need to know if I can by a replacement detector diode somewhere besides Ebay. I mean are they still sold by parts suppliers like Mouser or Digikey etc? Any thoughs on this. I have to obtain something to move forward...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Im not familiar with that specific set, but I have run accross several bad video detector diodes.
You can NOT use a 1n4004 and it will not test like a 4004.
A 4004, using diode test on a multi meter will read about .500-.600mv, the diode thats in there is Germanium and will read .200-.300mv one direction and open the other direction.
You may be able to use a modern silicon detector diode, the 1n4004 is not even close to high enough frequency to work as a detector.

When they fail they cause a whole bunch of weird problems depending on if they get leaky, short or open. Everything form buzzing and sync issues to poor color performance and ghosting.

I have been using 1N34 or 1N60 as a replacement for these. They are a germanium diode and work just fine.

I just looked on ebay and you can buy these numbers for like 10 for $1
__________________
"Face piles of trials with smiles, for it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Is this what you want?

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/1N34A.pdf

Mouser sells a 10-pack for $6.70.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...34PYwAg51eESs2

Phil
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.