Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Kevin Kuehn's Avatar
Kevin Kuehn Kevin Kuehn is offline
Workin' Late Again
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,976
Looks really nice. Do some stations actually still broadcast a test pattern over there?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Glenz75's Avatar
Glenz75 Glenz75 is offline
NZ Vintage TV Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 311
Hi Kevin, thanks for the compliment. There are no TV stations here producing test patterns anymore. Our analogue gets turned off next year. That test pattern was recorded on VHS some years ago when a small local TV station started up. I then transferred it to DVD and its perfect for when working on TV sets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Looks really nice. Do some stations actually still broadcast a test pattern over there?
__________________
Visit my Vintage TV & Radio Page - http://nzvintagetvradio.blogspot.com/

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Glenz75's Avatar
Glenz75 Glenz75 is offline
NZ Vintage TV Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 311
Hi all, Good news, this project is coming to an end....It's nearly done.

Over the past few months I've been slowly picking away at it, replacing components here and there, haven't had much time to really spend on it only in the past few weeks has some real progress been made.

Every single paper and electrolytic capacitor has been replaced along with several resistors in which some were way out of tolerance, others were ok but decided to replace anyway for peace of mind. Replaced the rectifier diodes and the screened cable going from the tuner to the 1st IF as the orignal was all stiff and no doubt its dielectric properties would have gone a long time ago.

Fitting some of the new electroytics, I had to compromise as to where to put them as the originals were buried in places and restuffing the original cans, I wasn't even going to go there but managed to put the new ones in various places so it still looks tidy. I had to mount some on a tag strip as the area would not allow me to put the new ones in place as they would have been right above the B+ droppers and in amongst other components.

I did though encounter a couple of faults which had to be sorted, the first one was width related. From cold the width was fine and the control could be adjusted to suit, after about 5-10 minutes the width would increase in size and get to a point where it was too much and it was affecting the boost voltage and the control had to be turned hard to one end which I didn't like so I set out find out what was causing the issue.
In the end it was width control pot, obviously heat and voltage was causing the resistance to change after time. Luckily the pot on the donor chassis was ok, so I put it in and now the width and boost voltage are stable - phew!

The other problem kind of led me on a wild goose chase in a way, again it was a resistor causing the problem, after about 1/2 hour I noticed the contrast would reduce and picture would get a bit washed out and I had to adjust the AGC control to compensate as it warmed but even hard at one end it wasn't good enough.
I started with the tuner and did find a 5.6k inside which has risen to about 20K, but that didn't fix it so started poking around with the scope and confirmed that it wasn't the front end causing the problem. Next I moved to looking around the AGC gate/sync area and eventually found a 22k resistor that was heat sensitive, spraying it with freeze would restore the contrast to normal but something interesting is that while it was faulting, touching anything around there with meter probes would boost the contrast level, but after the new resistor was put in, this had very little or no effect, must have the capacitance of the meter probes compensating for the fault!
This one did take a while to find in between getting constantly interupted while in the middle of it all, but got there in the end!

So there we have it, too queer faults both caused by resistors this time, not capactiors for a change!

At this point in time all I have to do now is make up a lead/plug for the speaker and output transformer and put that and chassis back in the cabinet.

I have decided to leave the chassis surface alone as it had originally been sprayed with silver paint and don't want to disturb it by cleaning. You can see it starting to flake off in places but it isn't not going to rust away. I might just give the chassis top a light spray with some silicone anyway.

So all going well the next update should be of the set all back together and playing.

Attached are recent photos and the final pile of dead bits.

Stay tuned...

Cheers

Glen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4625.jpg (125.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4629.jpg (106.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4631.jpg (103.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4630.jpg (104.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4632.jpg (95.2 KB, 36 views)
__________________
Visit my Vintage TV & Radio Page - http://nzvintagetvradio.blogspot.com/

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn

Last edited by Glenz75; 01-18-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Beautiful job on this one-of-a-kind television. I can't wait to see a photo of the whole thing put together.

One caution about using silicone (in any form) around furniture: It can create serious problems with "fisheye" that might defeat any future attempts to refurb the lacquer finish on your television cabinet. Pledge and similar furniture polishes have been permanently banned from our house!

I understand that you mentioned using it on the chassis, not the cabinet, but silicone oil is invasive and pervasive. It can be transferred on fingers or a rag, as well as through the air.

Perhaps there's some other product that would work just as well on your chassis. Or, if you use it, at least keep that spray far away from your cabinet and wash hands thoroughly before touching the cabinet again.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Glenz75's Avatar
Glenz75 Glenz75 is offline
NZ Vintage TV Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 311
Hi Phil, thanks! Its now very close to going back in its cabinet, I am hoping to get some photos up over the weekend

Silicone - Yes it can be a pain, I know what its like as that stuff does go everywhere, I may decide not to use it just in case I have to pull the chassis again in the future should anything else go wrong and then have that stuff on my fingers and tools etc.... I think I'll just leave it as is.

Cheers
Glen
__________________
Visit my Vintage TV & Radio Page - http://nzvintagetvradio.blogspot.com/

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Glenz75's Avatar
Glenz75 Glenz75 is offline
NZ Vintage TV Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 311
Hi guys - Its done, the Telerad is finally all back together in its cabinet and is complete! Phil - My avatar has been a kind of a teaser..

I have to say though its been an interesting project to say the least and it took me a lot longer than I'd expected to finish it and I learned a few things along way as you do with anything like this. The bit I didn't like was not working without a circuit, there's always a degree of uneasiness with something as rare and odd as this, but thank goodness I did have that spare junk chassis and the heap of photos I took to fall back on especially if I'd undone a part of the circuit to replace some components and then left it like that for a week or two!

I also reckon that this Telerad was set number ten that he made as there is a code on the back of both chassis, this one is '1510' and the donor is '1503'.
Thinking back I do recall Alan saying he used a prototype set in his living room for years and that one is the junk chassis as I saw where it came from after it had already been thrown in the skip complete with CRT etc and smashed by someone helping with the clean out at the time before I could stop him!

Now I can sit back and enjoy watching it. There are a few DVDs I've been putting aside just so I can see them on this, so looking forward to doing that with a

Hopefully the set will behave itself, now its back together. The cabinet is really well built and does look nice.

I'm sure if Alan were still alive he'd be tickled pink to see his only remaining set in existence going again.

Thanks for following this thread and should anything else come up in regards to the Telerad I'll post an update. Some final photos for your enjoyment.

Cheers!
Glen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4640.jpg (111.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4646.jpg (93.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4642.jpg (107.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4643.jpg (103.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4645.jpg (92.8 KB, 18 views)
__________________
Visit my Vintage TV & Radio Page - http://nzvintagetvradio.blogspot.com/

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn

Last edited by Glenz75; 01-21-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Glenz75's Avatar
Glenz75 Glenz75 is offline
NZ Vintage TV Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 311
More photos, the camera doesn't do it justice, BTW The screen shots are from Monty Python.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4638.jpg (98.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4647.jpg (91.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4654.jpg (90.7 KB, 31 views)
__________________
Visit my Vintage TV & Radio Page - http://nzvintagetvradio.blogspot.com/

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.