Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 AM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,552
When I worked on VCRs, Fishers were by far the most troublesome. Their idlers went bad, so often that I still have the part number memorized, a VA01. That would kill fast forward and rewind, and maybe also cause the machine to start eating tapes.
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 AM
moocow111 moocow111 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
When I worked on VCRs, Fishers were by far the most troublesome. Their idlers went bad, so often that I still have the part number memorized, a VA01. That would kill fast forward and rewind, and maybe also cause the machine to start eating tapes.
I've been trying it out and for the most part it has been working perfectly. I'm probably going to hit up another SA to see if they have some more VCRs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
My Panasonic VCR from 2002 has no belts at all, except perhaps for the main drive belt. Beside that, the drive mechanism itself is all plastic gears; it works well but is noisy as all get out in fast forward and rewind. I've owned several VCRs, and have never heard such noise in one (a loud screeching sound, usually near either end of the tape, never in normal playback mode). The VCR works amazingly well for its age otherwise.

I guess the noisy drive mechanism is the nature of the beast -- cheap construction + cheap plastic parts. I'm amazed the machine has lasted as long as it has, although I don't watch my VHS tapes much since getting a DVD player about five years ago; that may have something to do with it.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 PM
waltchan waltchan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
When I worked on VCRs, Fishers were by far the most troublesome. Their idlers went bad, so often that I still have the part number memorized, a VA01. That would kill fast forward and rewind, and maybe also cause the machine to start eating tapes.
Fisher was the most repair-proned and least-reliable VHS VCR brand for the 80s, according to the old Consumer Reports' VCR reliability data. Fisher VCRs could receive up to three times more repair than Panasonic. Reliability improved beginning in the early-90s.

However, the Sanyo brand itself, which also assembled Fisher VCRs, was one of the more reliable VCR brands. I was told by a tech that most Fisher VHS VCRs were designed in United States at their Chatsworth, CA headquarter, with all schematics sent to Sanyo in Japan for assembly, so that's how Fisher VCRs received poor reliability since they were American designs.

Last edited by waltchan; 02-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.