Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM
cwmoser's Avatar
cwmoser cwmoser is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman View Post
I have removed all the chassis and tested all tubes.
11 tubes test bad on my 707 tester (ouch).
Phil
When I restored my Philco projection TV, I found a lot of tubes
bad too. My Philco 48-2500 has 29 tubes including the CRT.
How many tubes are in your RCA?

There must have been 75 paper and electrolytic capacitors in
my Philco 48-2500. Have you counted how many in yours?

BTW, how are the mirror surfaces?

Carl
__________________
CW
1950 Zenith Porthole - "Lincoln"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 AM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
Carl

I counted 37 tubes less CRT, Sams says it has 41. Haven't even looked at caps yet. Oops, a recount reveals three 1B3s and with the CRT that's 41

The mirror surface is covered with a layer of dust but seems to be in excellent condition. What do I clean that with? I would hate to damage it with the wrong cleaner/procedure.

Thanks for the cleaning tips, but I'll stay away from the water.
Phil

Last edited by reeferman; 10-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 AM
hi_volt's Avatar
hi_volt hi_volt is offline
Vintage TV and Radio Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,144
I just carefully cleaned my chassis with formula 409 sprayed onto a clean cloth used to wipe it down. A bit of work, but no risk of getting water into places you don't want it. By far the dirtiest part of my set was inside the high voltage chassis. The ionized air in that part of the set when it is running is a dust/dirt magnet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
cbenham's Avatar
cbenham cbenham is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 471
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman View Post
The mirror surface is covered with a layer of dust but seems to be in excellent condition. What do I clean that with? I would hate to damage it with the wrong cleaner/procedure.
In this order,
Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust from inside the cabinet and in the optical barrel and the projection light path. Dust will make the picture look dim and reduce the fine detail as well.

Clean all the dust you can from the concave mirror, the face of the CRT, the corrector plate, the reflecting mirror and the rear surface of the projection screen with a very light brush, camel hair type if possible.

If the mirror surfaces [these are FRONT SURFACE mirrors, so be very careful] have a coating of dust or grime that can't be brushed away, use a good liquid photographic optical lens cleaner and optical cleaning tissue to very lightly clean the surfaces. The corrector plate is most times clear molded plastic and will scratch easily. Clean with the liquid cleaner and optical tissue as with the mirrors.

These sets make a bright picture when everything is clean and spiffy inside.
Good luck with this project!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
I'll try it as soon as I can and let you know the results. BTW, would you have any literature on the optical barrel set up? The Sams info is next to worthless.
Thank you
Phil
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
Update

Bad news. The CRT shows a H-K and a G1 short. The G1 short is my real concern. I have tried removing it with a B&K 466 and a Sencore CR168 Big Mack to no avail. About the only thing left to try is using the old (live wire) 2nd anode around the pins. Problem is I don't have anything that old anymore.

Replacing the 5TP4, the bad tubes and recapping just doesn't make sense. If the 2nd anode trick works on the CRT I'll reconsider. My next post might just be an obit for the set.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
hi_volt's Avatar
hi_volt hi_volt is offline
Vintage TV and Radio Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,144
Don't despair.....occasionally a 5TP4 shows up. About 2 months after purchasing my set I scored a NOS 5TP4 on the bay.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Some years ago, I spied a funny tube in a box at a neighbor's garage sale. They had no idea what it was for, nor did I, since I knew nothing of old TVs at the time. They gave it to me. Eventually, I happened to mention this tube to a fellow collector, who said that he could use a 5TP4 and traded a complete television for it.

You never know what's floatin' around out there . . .

Phil Nelson
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.