Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Here's a shot of another mahogany 630TS and you can see it's lid is QC rather than face cut and the color matches the cabinet.


Since the lid for this set is already splotchy looking and the color is off I'm even more inclined to refinish it while leaving the rest of the cabinet original. Or perhaps someone out there has a spare mahogany 630TS lid or wants to trade
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 12-31-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 1,130
Bob,

I hate you! Just kidding, that sure looks terrific. Thanks for sharing your TV with us.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
The projection lens gimmick from the above ad is very similar to the "100 inch tv" ads that circulated at the end of the crt television era. You received a bare unhoused lens along with instructions to attach this "kit". You basically found a cardboard box that covered the entire face of your television, mounted the open top of the box to cover the screen, while maintaining a proper depth to the box so your crummy plastic lens would focus properly once mounted to the other end of the box. You then took the whole hideous mess to the far end of the room, turned it upside down, and you had a crude projector, making a blurry dim image on the opposite wall of the room. I imagine left and right would still be reversed.

I imagine the 630 lens would be much the same, though you would have to swap some yoke wires to deal with the lens inversion. You really don't want to try playing a 630 upside down.

Hey, you can make your own with the instructions here!

http://www.bigscreentv.20m.com/photo.html

edit: never mind, I just read the WHOLE ad, and see that you are converting a 630 to run on a 5tp4, rf hv supply, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
N2IXK's Avatar
N2IXK N2IXK is offline
Technohippie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sittin' on the "Group W" bench...
Posts: 817
Given the RF high voltage supply they were offering and the NY location, I wonder if that firm eventually became these guys:

http://www.spellmanhv.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
I had two of these 630's in the past and sold them. They play so well and have such a solid quality about them. I have the chance to get another one that is working and in beautiful original condition. I may go for it. It's just such a large heavy set to try to display!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Geist Geist is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 350
Hi All;
I was just looking thru this posting and I noticed that 1. Bob's set has the same 4 metal tubes, in the same place's.. And 2. that the Large Dog Bone mostly Green resistor is also there.. Along with other smaller caps and such.. There seems to be a few small differences, due to mostly I think to repairs..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited by Geist; 01-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 AM
cbenham's Avatar
cbenham cbenham is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2IXK View Post
Given the RF high voltage supply they were offering and the NY location, I wonder if that firm eventually became these guys:

http://www.spellmanhv.com/
I think so. The website indicates the company was formed in 1947, about when
the ads for these projection set adaptors first appeared.

Cliff

Last edited by cbenham; 02-05-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.