Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 AM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
I bought a 1956 Philco 21" table model in 1982 or so in a Goodwill for $10. I was a teenager, so I used it quite a lot then. I remember that it came with a crt booster back then, but always did fine for, well, decades. We took it to the local tv shop for repair ONCE when the sound became distorted and a trip to the drug store tube tester didn't cure the problem. I think they put a resistor in the set.

Just a few years ago I finally replaced the original crt and two paper capacitors to cure some small vertical shrinkage horizontal issues. So, nearly 60 years of service with hardly any repair or restoration. That's one good set!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 AM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I bought a 1956 Philco 21" table model in 1982 or so in a Goodwill for $10. I was a teenager, so I used it quite a lot then. I remember that it came with a crt booster back then, but always did fine for, well, decades. We took it to the local tv shop for repair ONCE when the sound became distorted and a trip to the drug store tube tester didn't cure the problem. I think they put a resistor in the set.

Just a few years ago I finally replaced the original crt and two paper capacitors to cure some small vertical shrinkage horizontal issues. So, nearly 60 years of service with hardly any repair or restoration. That's one good set!
I have a very similiar story! I was a teen in the early '80's too and got a '53 Crosley 21" console from a moving sale. It was still being used in the living room!! $50 seemed like fortune, but it was like new. I used it for years without any chassis resto. It was all original! I had to sell in a few years later when I moved. Many of those '50's TV's were true work-horses!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I bought a 1956 Philco 21" table model in 1982 or so in a Goodwill for $10. I was a teenager, so I used it quite a lot then. I remember that it came with a crt booster back then, but always did fine for, well, decades. We took it to the local tv shop for repair ONCE when the sound became distorted and a trip to the drug store tube tester didn't cure the problem. I think they put a resistor in the set.

Just a few years ago I finally replaced the original crt and two paper capacitors to cure some small vertical shrinkage horizontal issues. So, nearly 60 years of service with hardly any repair or restoration. That's one good set!
Was that the Microgrid 390 model?
They originally came through with a 6BZ8/X155 as an RF amp. IIRC, that was Philco's own tube. Most techs replaced them with a 6BQ7 or 6BZ7.
It also had a 90 degree CRT. Great working set.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.