Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 AM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
As someone who HAS lost their temper on a few, and flung them in the dumpster as hard as I could, I don't have a "fix" answer for you. However.. I did have one a little older that if I left a tape in it, the TV portion would stay on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Join my I hate Funai club. I refused to work on them. Anyhows
be sure the deck is in "park" & the basket is in the empty state.
You can do it manually by turning the load belt. IIRC its a small
belt on one side that was prone to break. Kinda hard to
explain but you basicly have to get the mech. into its no
cassette pos. There was also something else that was common,
end sensors ???
Glad its you and not me.

73 Zeno
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Join my I hate Funai club. I refused to work on them.
You cound have sent'em all to me I made lots of $$ fixing those sets in and out of warranty, or under service contract. Some people got their moneysworth out of those extended service contracts! We were a Funai-Symphonic and Philips-Magnavox authorized service center. Had those suckers mastered. I'm still trying to remember how to get one to stay powered on, seems like just pulling out the mechanism and making sure the rotary mode encoder switch on the main board is in the proper position with the ^ alignment marking lined up properly to the Eject position. But it's been 5-6 years since I worked on any.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
You cound have sent'em all to me I made lots of $$ fixing those sets in and out of warranty, or under service contract. Some people got their moneysworth out of those extended service contracts! We were a Funai-Symphonic and Philips-Magnavox authorized service center. Had those suckers mastered. I'm still trying to remember how to get one to stay powered on, seems like just pulling out the mechanism and making sure the rotary mode encoder switch on the main board is in the proper position with the ^ alignment marking lined up properly to the Eject position. But it's been 5-6 years since I worked on any.
Ed
I feel your pain.
I was the jig man & dog man so didnt have to deal with VCR's.
Mechanics were not fun for me so I stuck with TV & kept an eye on
what was going on. when the flats came out I worked on a few
and it wasnt fun so I went part time & did whatever CRT's
were left. Shop now closed abt 3 yrs.

73 Zeno
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Zenith26kc20's Avatar
Zenith26kc20 Zenith26kc20 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 857
The small rotary switch under the transport cam gear gets oxidized and the unit thinks it needs to eject the tape even tho it is already out. Usually they make a loud clicking noise as the worm gear slips on the drive gear. It will eventually break the drive gear or loader gear. Cleaning that switch usually fixes that problem. On some later ones the tension arm won't move properly due to a broken pin on it's lever underneath. These can be hateful as the later ones had no plugs on the transport. The wire harness' were solded on both ends making it a time consuming repair to remove the transport. I've got a few customers that love the 13 inch versions. I've "retired" a few that were too broken up. It amazes me how they can get any transport stability as it is nealy all plastic. Once running, the tape path is pretty tight from tape to tape.
And before I forget, no take up is usually the clutch has fallen apart. Put it back together, straighten any broken levers.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Rod Beauvex Rod Beauvex is offline
The lead ear.
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
As someone who HAS lost their temper on a few, and flung them in the dumpster as hard as I could, I don't have a "fix" answer for you. However.. I did have one a little older that if I left a tape in it, the TV portion would stay on.
Perhaps some electrical tape over the little tape sensor stalk, which is roughly between the two reel hubs?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 PM
davet753's Avatar
davet753 davet753 is offline
David Thomas
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
Perhaps some electrical tape over the little tape sensor stalk, which is roughly between the two reel hubs?
If I remember correctly, this will work. I remember also taking a VHS tape apart and removing the tape from the reels and using the empty case to "fool" it into allowing the TV to stay powered up.

I was an authorized service center for Funai back in the 90's, and (at that time), they were pretty much garbage.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.