Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
bob91343 bob91343 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 745
Precisely the way so many of us learned of the magic of short wave. I used to lust for a short wave set and, considering I was barely a teenager at the time, I did a good job adding short wave to the 5 tube radio I had built from a kit. It worked great and my favorite station became WWV.

Later I got my ham license and now sport a legal-limit station and have worked over 300 countries.

Sadly, the heyday of short wave broadcast is over, even though there are still some stations to be heard. It's dominated by religious stations with many in languages I don't understand.

I enjoy playing with electronics gear, and even my acquisition of a BSEE didn't dampen my enthusiasm for experimentation and knob twisting. For years I owned and operated an electronics repair shop and had a blast. My work benches looked like something from a science fiction movie, and at one point there were 8 of us working on customer units.

Now I relax with my toys, always interested in something new.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Zenith26kc20's Avatar
Zenith26kc20 Zenith26kc20 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 857
Boy, this thread brings back memories! A friend and I used to go down to the water when his father took us to Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi and I would take my H500 Zenith Transoceanic (with the BIG battery) with me. We would listen to short wave until his father came to get us, usually late at night (and not too happy).
That radio went with me into the army and I still have it. It's a bit worse for the wear but it still works great! Still has the original 1L6 tube and it is still good!
Like I said, fun days!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.