Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
It is under a lot more tension than a mounting band. I cut one once (after letting the tube go to air). I didn't have to cut all the way through the band before the tension broke it, and it really flew off with a surprising amount of force. I've heard that cutting a band on a life tube will cause it to implode, but I haven't tried it.
Ok then back to the orig question how to correctly apply a tension band. Maybe someone that knows how to contact Scotty could fine out?

I know I would feel a lot more comfortable with a tension band on a bonded face CRT (when removing the lens that is), esp after my latest attempt, it sounded like a IED going off in the back yard, I was lucky, only got a minor cut on my arm, there where some pretty big chunks of glass several feet from the implosion.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:30 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJ0otqgmYs


here is the lost CRT too bad it tested great.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:12 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
Ok then back to the orig question how to correctly apply a tension band. Maybe someone that knows how to contact Scotty could fine out?

I know I would feel a lot more comfortable with a tension band on a bonded face CRT (when removing the lens that is), esp after my latest attempt, it sounded like a IED going off in the back yard, I was lucky, only got a minor cut on my arm, there where some pretty big chunks of glass several feet from the implosion.
I think they were tension banded before they were evacuated. A lot less danger them.
The rebuilder that I was buying from several years ago, was doing the same thing, that a lot of you V-K members are doing. That is, using Scotchmount type tape and clear silicone sealant.
It's not a true implosion protection, as the glass panel is not tempered. The nasty resin is what provided the implosion protection.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.