Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #10  
Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Winky Dink's Avatar
Winky Dink Winky Dink is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Meridian, Idaho.
Posts: 583
Chassis Restoration Complete

The electronic restoration isn't complete but the chassis is done, so I took some time to put together a few photos showing a good result and some techniques that were new to me. Many parts needed painting or less-than-authentic reproduction, so I gave little effort to preservation and went for "looks nice."

I posted the "before" picture previously, but here's what I started with…



…and here's the finished product.


In retrospect, I didn't need to reproduce vintage parts under the chassis, but I started it that way, and I like doing it. Mostly it was routine stuff, like making dog bone resistor replacements:


Just to find out how it would work, I transformed a Motorola cap into a Philco to replace the raunchiest looking cardboard tube. It worked well, but the adhesives I tried on the paper all came loose when I coated the cap with melted wax. The paper is held on only by the wax coating. If the wax gets too warm, the paper will come loose:



I've restuffed cans before, but this is the first time I needed to make new ones. Rather than try to find authentic Philco cans, I did the best I could with materials on hand…



.. and it looks OK both above and below the chassis:



The shadow meter was entirely new to me. I'm fortunate that this one actually works--at least it shows that it responds to signal by moving the vane. I understand that it doesn't actually move much unless the AVC is operating.



As the sun sets, the radio fills the room with a comforting, warm glow, but my wife thinks the fireplace is more romantic. I'll never understand women.

__________________
Winky Dink
Damn the patina,
Full speed ahead!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.