Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-2014, 03:18 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
...

Last night though I tried a experiment with using bias with conventional gernmanium diodes (I used an old GEX34 germanium diode), and the results were interesting.

Germanium diodes almost don't require bias due to their inherently excellent 'sensitivity', but the addition of bias (when correct bias is applied), reduces overall audio distortion and the germanium diodes have a nice 'rounded' sound which is quite pleasant to the ears.

...
I did something similar on an AM/FM/police band radio.
I had to make the biasing switchable, as the radio used the AM detector circuit as a bias circuit for an FM IF amp transistor. I adjusted my R1 to counteract the bias circuit and to get the diode in a nice detection range for weak stations.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.