Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
Anybody here using a station that includes hot air for large surface mount parts, or should the hot air wand be a separate piece of gear from the de-solder/solder sucker unit?

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Profesio...ir+desoldering

Edit add: It appears that the Hakko 808 has been discontinued, so it might be prudent to buy soon if one is desired.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?C...PID=838&Page=1

Newer model Hakko:

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FR-300-H...ko+desoldering

no affiliation,
jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 08-14-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add note about 808 and newer FR-300
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM
NoPegs's Avatar
NoPegs NoPegs is offline
The glass is -3dB.
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Amish Country PA.
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Anybody here using a station that includes hot air for large surface mount parts, or should the hot air wand be a separate piece of gear from the de-solder/solder sucker unit?

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Profesio...ir+desoldering

Edit add: It appears that the Hakko 808 has been discontinued, so it might be prudent to buy soon if one is desired.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?C...PID=838&Page=1

Newer model Hakko:

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FR-300-H...ko+desoldering

no affiliation,
jr

I prefer my hot air wand to be a standalone unit. If I had to do it all over again though I'd get one with the fan/pump/blower/compressor/bellows/whatever in the tabletop box and just a thicker umbilical to the hand-piece. Either that or I'd buy one with a higher build quality blower in the hand-piece. The vibration from mine at *certain* speed settings makes my hands tingle after 5-10 minutes of use. I usually just pop a mechanic's glove on and that takes care of things. I'll also add "Lowest setting of ~50C instead of 100C" to my wish list next time. (Hot shouldn't automatically mean at least boiling.)


If you don't have one already, holy crap get one. Even if you only ever use it for heat-shrink, thermal fault troubleshooting, or re-stuffing caps they're awesome and affordable. (Hell, RadioShack even sells one now for $30. I can't speak for that one but it can't be terrible.)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.