Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2015, 02:45 PM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
So the osc runs now with the old T115 in place but wouldn't before. What happens if you disconnect C202 (thus severing the osc from everything 'upstream')? Does it still run? If so, is there any sign of color barberpoling when you inject signal?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
I disconnected C202. The waveform and tone are still present when there is no signal at the receiver. When I turn on the color bar generator, I see strong barberpoling on the screen.

Phil Nelson

Last edited by Phil Nelson; 04-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2015, 03:31 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
burst keyer not working right?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Related to the burst keyer, I never got as far as trying the AFC adjustment procedure listed on page 23 of the RCA service clinic manual (specifically, adjusting T112, the phase detector transformer, or R228, the AFC balance control, which affect the keyer output). Pages 46-48 have more info.

Is it OK to use my digital multimeter for voltage measurements in those procedures, or will it load down the circuits too much? I don't have much faith in my old RCA Voltohmyst, but I could try using the scope for voltage measurements instead.

Phil Nelson
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2015, 05:15 PM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
Wonder if you coulda cleared a tin whisker or something in the old T115 whilst removing and reinstalling it.
Now that you got barberpoling, try reconnecting C202, and go back further and disconnect R242. If still barberpoling, you should be able to zero beat the osc using the reactance coil, though it won't have any sync.

(Digital meters supposedly are high impedance like a VTVM, so shouldn't cause any loading problem.)
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 04-29-2015, 05:30 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
I would be tempted to scope and look for clean burst to be coming from the keyer. It like the osc free runs, but adding the control kills it, so maybe the control is not really a nice clean burst, but some video getting in there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
I reconnected C202 and disconnected R242. With no signal at the receiver, the waveform at L42 looks like the following and I hear buzzing instead of a clear tone from my SW radio tuned to 3586 KHz:



When I turn on the color bar generator, the waveform changes to this, and I see the same old green bars on the screen (no barberpoling). Louder buzzing from the SW radio:



Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I would be tempted to scope and look for clean burst to be coming from the keyer. It like the osc free runs, but adding the control kills it, so maybe the control is not really a nice clean burst, but some video getting in there.
If you scroll back to post #142, you can see three scope waveforms from the burst keyer. The first two looked good, the third (cathode) not so much. I can repeat those now, if that's interesting.

Edit: Well, I'll be hornswoggled. I reconnected both C202 and R242 in preparation for scoping the burst keyer. (Everything is now reconnected, in other words.) To my surprise, I saw rolling color bars, which I can make to hover in place by adjusting the reactance coil (L127).



??

Phil Nelson

Last edited by Phil Nelson; 04-29-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.