Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2015, 02:20 PM
trudie trudie is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
I have a Veric, it looks like an isolation transformer is different. Does it some how prevent electrocution when touching the chasse?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2015, 02:24 PM
trudie trudie is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
After reading a WIKI on isolation transformers it sounds like something I should integrate into the VARIC box I am building?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2015, 03:28 PM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Yes use them together. There are some nice combos but since
they are so useful they are expensive. Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SENCORE-PR57...YAAOSwYHxWJCIl

If you have spare meters put one in for AC amps 0-5 &
one for output AC volts 0-150 Also fuse the output at 5A

73 Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudie View Post
After reading a WIKI on isolation transformers it sounds like something I should integrate into the VARIC box I am building?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudie View Post
After reading a WIKI on isolation transformers it sounds like something I should integrate into the VARIC box I am building?
You can do that or keep them as separate boxes that can be plugged into one another (easier to lug only one when both are not needed).

By the way it is spelled Variac and resistor not varic and resister. Technically a Variac is a trade name for a speciffic company's variable auto-transformer, but it has become like Kleenex or Bandaid...Synonymous with the product regardless of the maker.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 PM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Never noticed where but I would put the Variac after isolation.
With it you will be safe, can turn it down to break in a set &
sniff out weak tubes that wont run on reduced voltage.
Monitoring the current is essential for troubleshooting TV
Hoz & HV circuits in solid state ( SS ) sets.
Going higher is a good test of a SS sets regulator.
You can test things that run on 24 VAC or other low AC
voltages, just dont bump the knob !

73 Zeno
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.