Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
I had a Sony beta where there was a guide tab broke off on the cassette holder part of the load mechanism that rode in a track (there was one on each side) and that tab being busted off prevented the mech form ejecting.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I had a Sony beta where there was a guide tab broke off on the cassette holder part of the load mechanism that rode in a track (there was one on each side) and that tab being busted off prevented the mech form ejecting.
Where would that guide tab be? So I could see if maybe that's what happened with this one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Where would that guide tab be? So I could see if maybe that's what happened with this one.
Assuming yours is a front-loader....There is a a tray the cassette rides in between the play position and ejected position. There will be plastic/metal guides/tracks on both sides of that tray. The tracks should have an L shaped slot in them that the tab/pin of the tray rides in as a guide....There is at least one on each side of the tray in most VCRs.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Assuming yours is a front-loader....There is a a tray the cassette rides in between the play position and ejected position. There will be plastic/metal guides/tracks on both sides of that tray. The tracks should have an L shaped slot in them that the tab/pin of the tray rides in as a guide....There is at least one on each side of the tray in most VCRs.
Yes, its a front loader model, and, from what I could see of the unit when I had it open it didn't seem like there was anything broken off although when I took the mechanism apart to check the gears out it looked like something small and black fell out that wasn't part of the gear drive mechanism, was that maybe the tab you were talking about? I didn't see where the tab landed as it fell out before I could see where it landed at.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Yes, its a front loader model, and, from what I could see of the unit when I had it open it didn't seem like there was anything broken off although when I took the mechanism apart to check the gears out it looked like something small and black fell out that wasn't part of the gear drive mechanism, was that maybe the tab you were talking about? I didn't see where the tab landed as it fell out before I could see where it landed at.
That small black thing may have been it. My deck was a odd Sony superBETA unit (odd because it did not have HiFi). It had a cap problem with the capstan motor that would stop the capstan at random (needed to be hand spun occasionally to fix it/keep it from interrupting playback) and I ran it on it's side to baby sit that until I fixed it. A couple times it fell over to normal operating position with a tape in it and the weight of the tape in the fall broke that tab, and later the superglue bond I used to fix it.

If you eventually decide you can't fix yours and want to part it out/get rid of it, post some pictures of the capstan motor....If it is the right one I'd be interested in buying it off you.....When I changed the cap my soldering iron melted a bit of the plastic tire on the capstan rotor.....That tire is essentially a loop of magnetic tape that is read by a tape head to make a speed feedback signal...It don't play quite right with a melt spot.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-22-2015, 01:09 AM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
That small black thing may have been it. My deck was a odd Sony superBETA unit (odd because it did not have HiFi). It had a cap problem with the capstan motor that would stop the capstan at random (needed to be hand spun occasionally to fix it/keep it from interrupting playback) and I ran it on it's side to baby sit that until I fixed it. A couple times it fell over to normal operating position with a tape in it and the weight of the tape in the fall broke that tab, and later the superglue bond I used to fix it.

If you eventually decide you can't fix yours and want to part it out/get rid of it, post some pictures of the capstan motor....If it is the right one I'd be interested in buying it off you.....When I changed the cap my soldering iron melted a bit of the plastic tire on the capstan rotor.....That tire is essentially a loop of magnetic tape that is read by a tape head to make a speed feedback signal...It don't play quite right with a melt spot.
Well I'm going to have to ask my friend what he thinks because it belongs to him not me, so it would be his decision as to whether or not he would want to sell it. But I will keep that in mind, because like I said everything else works fine on it. Your machine wasn't a Sony SL-300 was it by any chance? Because that's what this one is, and this one is a mono SuperBeta Machine.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2015, 02:43 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well I'm going to have to ask my friend what he thinks because it belongs to him not me, so it would be his decision as to whether or not he would want to sell it. But I will keep that in mind, because like I said everything else works fine on it. Your machine wasn't a Sony SL-300 was it by any chance? Because that's what this one is, and this one is a mono SuperBeta Machine.
I checked mine earlier and it is a SL-390...It'd be interesting to see how the insides of the two models match up.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.