Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
I have several. Accumulate would be a better description. A Sony, a Pioneer and an Oppo. No longer in use. Not worth the trouble to try and unload, er, sell on ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2016, 09:39 AM
pac.attack76's Avatar
pac.attack76 pac.attack76 is offline
Stuck in the past
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,311
I cant imagine collecting them but I have a Pioneer DVD player that ill keep regardless. As for buying up everything I see, only if they were unique or high end models. Otherwise I probably wont. I go for the older stuff. To me, collecting these would be almost as bad as collecting bpc tv sets.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Damnation Damnation is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 55
Cool guys, here's some of the standouts I've found (yeah, I've gone a bit crazy, haha):

Sony:

DVP-S7000 (3) - Sony's first DVD player, ES quality, R-core transformer, same audio section as their CDP-XA7ES CD player. Found two thrifting, one eBay (early model w/ internal region/copy free DIP switches)
DVP-S7700 - Follow-up model with DTS support, inferior build quality to 7000.
DVP-NS900V - DVD/SACD, $15 mint thrift shop find.
BDP-S1 - Their first Blu-ray player, bought "as-is", works fine.

Denon:

DVD-2910 - Region free DVD/SACD/DVD-A/CD
DVD-955 - Same as 2910 but in silver, $25 thrift find, also region free.

Toshiba:

SD-6200 - Their top of the line "Dual Disc" two-disc DVD player.
SD-5700 - Single disc version of the 6200 w/ DVD-Audio.
SD-9100 - Their first 480p flagship DVD player
SD-9200 (2) - Tank-like flagship DVD player, copper chassis, with DVD-Audio, one from eBay and one heavily marked up from a yard sale, rock solid though.
HD-A1 - Their first HD DVD player.
HD-A3 - Seems to be the one HD DVD model I see used the most.
HD-A35 - Closeout purchase when HD DVD died.

Panasonic:

DVD-A320 - Their first flagship player, fantastic color reproduction for an early 480i player.
DVD-RP81 - Progressive flagship player w/ DVD-Audio.
DVD-S97 - Their last high performance DVD model before Blu-ray took hold, w/ DVD-Audio.
DMP-BD10 - Their first Blu-ray player, 14-bit/297Mhz video DAC.

Oppo:

OPDV971H (2) - Bought one from Oppo, then found another for $15 at flea market.
OPDV980H (2) - Bought one from Oppo, then found another for $5 at flea market, just last year.

Samsung:

DVD HD-1000 - Thirty-eight pound high end statement piece, first DVD player anywhere to offer 720p/1080i HD upscaling, R-core transformer, copper chassis, selectable Luxman audio DACs. Rare.
BDP-1200 - HQV Reon processor, excellent HD upscaling of DVD.
BDP-U5000 - Their first and only Blu-ray/HD DVD combo player, also with HQV Reon for DVD.

JVC:

XV-511 - Their first DVD player, well built but hard-set to incorrect NTSC black level (IRE 0 instead of 7.5).
XV-BP1 - Their first Blu-ray player, released a bit later so it's not as handicapped as other early BD decks. Rare.

Last edited by Damnation; 01-02-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnation View Post
Cool guys, here's some of the standouts I've found (yeah, I've gone a bit crazy, haha):

Sony:

DVP-S7000 (3) - Sony's first DVD player, ES quality, R-core transformer, same audio section as their CDP-XA7ES CD player. Found two thrifting, one eBay (early model w/ internal region/copy free DIP switches)
DVP-S7700 - Follow-up model with DTS support, inferior build quality to 7000.
DVP-NS900V - DVD/SACD, $15 mint thrift shop find.
BDP-S1 - Their first Blu-ray player, bought "as-is", works fine.

Denon:

DVD-2910 - Region free DVD/SACD/DVD-A/CD
DVD-955 - Same as 2910 but in silver, $25 thrift find, also region free.

Toshiba:

SD-6200 - Their top of the line "Dual Disc" two-disc DVD player.
SD-5700 - Single disc version of the 6200 w/ DVD-Audio.
SD-9100 - Their first 480p flagship DVD player
SD-9200 (2) - Tank-like flagship DVD player, copper chassis, with DVD-Audio, one from eBay and one heavily marked up from a yard sale, rock solid though.
HD-A1 - Their first HD DVD player.
HD-A3 - Seems to be the one HD DVD model I see used the most.
HD-A35 - Closeout purchase when HD DVD died.

Panasonic:

DVD-A320 - Their first flagship player, fantastic color reproduction for an early 480i player.
DVD-RP81 - Progressive flagship player w/ DVD-Audio.
DVD-S97 - Their last high performance DVD model before Blu-ray took hold, w/ DVD-Audio.
DMP-BD10 - Their first Blu-ray player, 14-bit/297Mhz video DAC.

Oppo:

OPDV971H (2) - Bought one from Oppo, then found another for $15 at flea market.
OPDV980H (2) - Bought one from Oppo, then found another for $5 at flea market, just last year.

Samsung:

DVD HD-1000 - Thirty-eight pound high end statement piece, first DVD player anywhere to offer 720p/1080i HD upscaling, R-core transformer, copper chassis, selectable Luxman audio DACs. Rare.
BDP-1200 - HQV Reon processor, excellent HD upscaling of DVD.
BDP-U5000 - Their first and only Blu-ray/HD DVD combo player, also with HQV Reon for DVD.

JVC:

XV-511 - Their first DVD player, well built but hard-set to incorrect NTSC black level (IRE 0 instead of 7.5).
XV-BP1 - Their first Blu-ray player, released a bit later so it's not as handicapped as other early BD decks. Rare.
This is a great list. Before I saw this I didn't know Japanese-made Blu-Ray players existed. Now I know what to look for if I'm so inclined to get one. My DVD player/recorder of choice is the Panasonic DMR-E20. I got one in the box with the papers for a decent price.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
My DVD player/recorder of choice is the Panasonic DMR-E20. I got one in the box with the papers for a decent price.
I've got a Panasonic DMR-E80H. It is a DVR/DVD player/recorder. I mostly use the DVR part of it for time shifting and as a back up so that if there is an error or I forget to un-pause recording at the end of a commercial break on a show I'm archiving on DVD with my Toshiba I can go back and do it over again.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 01-19-2016, 06:46 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Since I first posted I've added an Oppo BDP-83 and a BDP-83SE. Love these players!

I bought the -83 a month ago and loved its performance so much I've dedicated it to the TV room and I bought another one, an "SE" version, for my big stereo out in the den. This model is particularly good for my use because it has a dedicated stereo converter section with separate L and R outputs. Plus a full set of surround outputs, and component and composite video out so I can use a little NTSC monitor with the one in the stereo room for menu settings etc. Pretty cool!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Damnation Damnation is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 55
Picked up a Pioneer DVD-V8000, their best and last industrial DVD player from 2007 right before Blu-ray took hold. Has some interesting features, like the ability to play DVDs at 24fps and skip directly to the top menu or play the longest file straight away with any DVD. Can also program it to turn on and execute a series of commands automatically. Tons of image options and can upscale to 1080i. Broadcast ready as well. Can't find a consumer Pioneer equivalent. Has a MTBF of 50,000 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160205_202842_007[1].jpg (66.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 875576.jpg (71.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Damnation; 02-05-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2016, 09:21 AM
pac.attack76's Avatar
pac.attack76 pac.attack76 is offline
Stuck in the past
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnation View Post
Picked up a Pioneer DVD-V8000, their best and last industrial DVD player from 2007 right before Blu-ray took hold. Has some interesting features, like the ability to play DVDs at 24fps and skip directly to the top menu or play the longest file straight away with any DVD. Can also program it to turn on and execute a series of commands automatically. Tons of image options and can upscale to 1080i. Broadcast ready as well. Can't find a consumer Pioneer equivalent. Has a MTBF of 50,000 hours.
That's pretty Damn neat. I just don't have much interest in dvd. I might buy a couple high end units but I'm too busy with older formats.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Damnation Damnation is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
My DVD player/recorder of choice is the Panasonic DMR-E20. I got one in the box with the papers for a decent price.
Actually just picked up one of these for ten bucks on Saturday. Cool deck, and works fine both playback and recording (DVD-R, don't have any DVD-RAM cartridges). Two added bonuses is that this recorder has a 3DYC comb filter and TBC on the Composite and RF line-ins, so it makes a nice pass-through device for my LD and VCRs even if the drive dies eventually. Being such an early DVD recorder, its recording functions are modelled like a VCR. No-frills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CnhE1ayVIAALstf.jpg (32.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Damnation; 07-18-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.