Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
OK, after pushing my CTC-4 project aside for a long winter's nap, I hauled it back out.

Last year, I had decided to build a video preamp in hopes of injecting a usable video signal at the 1st video amp, so that I could bypass the set's RF/IF stages and debug my obvious color problem in a "clean" environment.

Long story short -- Yes, I did eventually build a video preamp; No, it didn't work as expected (owing to the inevitable leetle wiring mistake by me); and then I got disgusted and worked on other projects.

Recently, I got a helpful email from ChrisW6ATV, who asked whether I had ever tried injecting a video signal from my Sencore VA62A, using the Drive Output jacks at the lower right of the front panel. Chris mentioned that you can set the Drive Range level to 3VPP and basically accomplish what I wanted to build a video preamp for (that is, inject a somewhat stronger-than-standard video signal). He reported getting good color on his CTC-4 when injecting video in this manner.

Duh!

So, here we go. The VA62A makes good color bars, using the 10-bar pattern referenced in the RCA service manual ( http://antiqueradio.org/art/RCA CTC-...ice Manual.pdf ):



Here is that video signal scoped at the injection point (terminal J on the IF board; the junction of L105/R126/R324 in the RCA schematic):



Here's the screen image when that signal is injected (after tweaking L127, reactance coil, to slow down the rolling enough for a photo). Yes, we have seen this barberpole effect many times before:



Chris noted that you can pipe an external video source through the VA62 using its video jack in the rear. To try that out, I set a second generator to display NTSC color bars and sent that signal through the VA62:



Of course, you can also inject a DVD video signal through the VA62 in that manner, but I'll spare you any more ghastly-looking scenes from the Wizard of Oz. Trust me, they look awful.

Now that I can inject a known-good video signal at the right level, I'll back up and:

-- Run through color setup procedures as best I can
-- Check voltages throughout the color sections
-- Scope signals throughout the color sections

These things have been done (or sort-of done) before, but now that I can inject a nice strong 10-bar color signal, it should be possible to work through the demodulator phase adjustment procedure on page 49 of the RCA service manual. Other parts of the manual that reference that pattern may also make more sense.

As always, I'm open to other ideas. And thanks again to Chris for this bit of advice.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Penthode's Avatar
Penthode Penthode is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,463
Phil,

Are you connecting the Sencore from terminal J to ground? The detector circuit output is across J and L. I looked at the CTC4 schematic and the connection of the generator from J to ground may not work because L is floating. Note that L is the sync separator feed. L also attaches to the cathode of the first video stage. V110 is a cathode follower.
The first cathode follower video stage does not invert the signal nor does it provide any voltage gain. It only provides an impedance match to the delay line.
So why not try and attach the generator from L to ground and see if that works? (You might want to DC isolate the connection to L with a 2uF 50v electrolytic with "+" to the cathode of v110).

Cheers,

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
So why not try and attach the generator from L to ground and see if that works?
I tried connecting the generator from L to ground and the picture became completely unstable: horizontal wouldn't really lock, and I couldn't tell whether vertical locked or not. When I connect to J, the image is stable apart from rolling colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
(You might want to DC isolate the connection to L with a 2uF 50v electrolytic with "+" to the cathode of v110).
Not sure what this means. Can you explain what is connected to what?

Phil Nelson
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:04 PM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
And thanks again to Chris for this bit of advice.
Phil, after all of the great advice and tips I have learned from many of your restoration pages, I am glad to be able to offer even a little tidbit back in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Phil, Are you connecting the Sencore from terminal J to ground?
Terry, I also connected my VA62's video between point J on the RCA CTC-4 schematic and ground, and in my case, I got near-perfect video right from the start. The signal was, if I remember right, inverted video at about 3 volts peak-to-peak. Feeding it at point J seems to also put the needed signal to point L, through the nearby components. I also tried between point L and ground and did not get a usable signal; I did not try between points J and L (but did not need to, as noted above).
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.