Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2016, 09:01 PM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: West Canadia
Posts: 1,023
Yeahhh, this is one of things I would totally only bring up with the Variac and the ammeter attached to anyways. I'll have to lookup the values and hope I can get some substitutes. I typically don't question caps that show physical signs of problems.

In the meantime I finished making a tube chart and testing them all. None of them had any issues testing very good.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Yeahhh, this is one of things I would totally only bring up with the Variac and the ammeter attached to anyways. I'll have to lookup the values and hope I can get some substitutes. I typically don't question caps that show physical signs of problems.

In the meantime I finished making a tube chart and testing them all. None of them had any issues testing very good.



I have a question for you, How on earth where you able to test a magic tuning eye tube on your Sencore Mighty Might VII Tube Tester? I'm asking because I have the exact same tube tester you have but in the tube setup guide book that came with mine it doesn't have any tuning eye tubes listed in the setup book. So do you care to share how you were able to test a magic tuning eye tube in your tube tester?

BTW: this question is referencing your earlier post where you showed all of the photos of this VTR unit taken apart and you had a picture of the two EM87 tuning eye tubes with the one good one on the tester.

Last edited by Captainclock; 03-12-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2016, 09:49 PM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: West Canadia
Posts: 1,023
The luminous surface itself obviously doesn't get tested but the setup for the EM87 is listed on page 136.

Code:
A - 2, 6, 8
B - 6
C - G
D - 1
Socket - 3
I really don't trust the emissions or grid leak tests on this tube because its so simple but if the heater comes on it's a pretty good sign the tube is fine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
The luminous surface itself obviously doesn't get tested but the setup for the EM87 is listed on page 136.

Code:
A - 2, 6, 8
B - 6
C - G
D - 1
Socket - 3
I really don't trust the emissions or grid leak tests on this tube because its so simple but if the heater comes on it's a pretty good sign the tube is fine.
Interesting because I've had several tuning eye tubes that I really wanted to test but couldn't find the setup info for the tubes, like for instance I have an old Silvertone stereo that uses an EM84 tuning eye tube which its working fine currently but I was kind of curious as to how much life the tube had left in it, I also have an old Grundig Console Radio that uses the European equivalent to the 6E5/6U5 tube (which obviously the Sencore isn't going to be able to test 4,5 and 6 pin tubes because it doesn't have provisions for those sockets, although I'm guessing they had adaptors available for it that made it so you could test 4, 5 and 6 pin tubes using the octal socket I'm assuming.)
It certainly would be cool to see this old VTR up and running again but seeing how badly beaten up it is and how many parts and pieces are missing you may just have to use it as a display piece.

Last edited by Captainclock; 03-12-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.