Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Yep you're right. Gonna have to quit relying on my memory.
Matsushita made some RCAs with the stamped steel chassis and SMPS. Even Toshiba got into making some RCAs like the pos VH689HF. Terrible design.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Blast's Avatar
Blast Blast is offline
blast, blast...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 237
I wonder if the OP still has this VCR. I JUST RECENTLY got all my data exported from the old database that it was in (that I haven't been able to open for about 10-15 years) and imported into Excel. I have records from 1989 to 2001. Predominantly VCR and camcorder but I did work on televisions and audio equipment, as well.

Computer says I worked on 18 VMT395's, all from 1990 to 1992. Three of them were "dead" and required that IC851, a regulator IC, be replaced. Gut feeling says that's what ails the OP's. Or, at least is the first thing I would check if I were in front of the unit.

RCA part number for the regulator IC is 177649. I believe it was a STK pack although I do not know the number.

By the way, the remaining 15 units needed belts, cleaning, a tuning IC in one and a clutch ass'y in another.

The VMT395 is most definitely Hitachi built. 16 of the 18 that I worked on were built middle to late 1986. The remaining two were built very early 1987.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Blast's Avatar
Blast Blast is offline
blast, blast...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 237
Many manufacturers branded VCR's for RCA over the years. To the best of my recollection and according to my personal database file:

Panasonic built VCRs for RCA beginning from the very first models in the mid 70's until 1998. However, there may have been a large void between 1983 and 1988. I will do some more research.

There were no Panasonic-built models in 1999, then one Panasonic model in 2000 and that's about the end of my record keeping.

Hitachi made RCA VCRs from 1983 to 1995.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

Brian

Last edited by Blast; 09-19-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Blast's Avatar
Blast Blast is offline
blast, blast...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Even Toshiba got into making some RCAs like the pos VH689HF.
Yes. I believe the joint venture with Toshiba was called IVP. International Video Products. VCR's under brand names RCA, GE and ProScan appeared in 1991 and continued until 1997 when the model you indicated, Ed, the VR689HF was made.

Again, my data which I believe (and hope) to be reliable.

Brian
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.