Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2016, 02:53 PM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Since we're talking VTVMs, I picked up this sexy lookin Jackson 709 Tele-Volter at a hamfest last weekend for $20. I was instantly attracted to it because of the big angled meter.

I've decided recently that I really have to get myself used to using analog meters as much as I can, and (thanks to Dave) have an RCA Senior VoltOhmyst to match my Master VoltOhmyst I got last month.

Anyway, back to the Jackson. I recapped it (which was a bit tricky with the layout inside), and adjusted it. It reads the ohm scale dead on, but wouldn't read DC. I read the manual, and it said to measure DC, switch the probe to DCV. Unfortunately the test leads were cut on the very end, so I just soldered on leads and alligator clips.

What sort of probe would the meter use? Something I can make up?
On almost all VTVM's I have seen, the DC switch on the test probe adds a 1 meg resistor in series. This is supposed to isolate any RF from capacitance of the shielded test lead.
__________________
"When resistors increase in value, they're worthless"
-Dave G
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.