Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2016, 10:53 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2IXK View Post
Funai machines were crap even in the 80s heyday of the VCR. I can't imagine how crappy newer ones must be....
We have a Funai built DVD/VCR combo (DVD recorder, "high end" model). It played 4 tapes before dying.. Returned, got another, that one made it 3 tapes in, and destroyed my baby video tape. Yea, I was pissed, and what did they offer me? "Using old tapes is not garanteed for playback quality". No apology or anything, just a big FU.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 AM
CoogarXR's Avatar
CoogarXR CoogarXR is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
We have a Funai built DVD/VCR combo (DVD recorder, "high end" model). It played 4 tapes before dying.. Returned, got another, that one made it 3 tapes in, and destroyed my baby video tape. Yea, I was pissed, and what did they offer me? "Using old tapes is not garanteed for playback quality". No apology or anything, just a big FU.
So would that be FU-nai?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
So would that be FU-nai?
Funny part about that is Nai as used in Japanese is sorta equivalent to Not in English. It is often found at the end of Japanese sentences as say something is not the case in a similar way that young folks here will say 'this is the case, NOT!'
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
We have a Funai built DVD/VCR combo (DVD recorder, "high end" model). It played 4 tapes before dying.. Returned, got another, that one made it 3 tapes in, and destroyed my baby video tape. Yea, I was pissed, and what did they offer me? "Using old tapes is not garanteed for playback quality". No apology or anything, just a big FU.
Those Funai combos, never did play tapes well or record well. The DVD was passable, nothing special. I friend bought two and returned two, always some fault. They were Funai products, either Magnavox or Sylvania.
She paid the difference and bought a Samsung. It seems to be OK yet.
I've repaired several VHS tapes. They're easy to take apart and splice. You only lose a little bit and most of the time, they work well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Those Funai combos, never did play tapes well or record well. The DVD was passable, nothing special. I friend bought two and returned two, always some fault. They were Funai products, either Magnavox or Sylvania.
She paid the difference and bought a Samsung. It seems to be OK yet.
I've repaired several VHS tapes. They're easy to take apart and splice. You only lose a little bit and most of the time, they work well.
If the tape has not been stretched badly a gentle pull through your fingers will flatten the lumps so it is semi-playable in the damaged spot...Otherwise I splice them.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Telecolor 3007's Avatar
Telecolor 3007 Telecolor 3007 is offline
I love old stuff
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 2,123
"Funai" was quite popular in Romania becuase of cheap price, otherwise the qualgty was crap.
I dind't know that somebody still made V.C.R.'s.
__________________
OLD, but ORIGINAL, not Made in CHINA.
Sailor Moon
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2016, 10:36 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the tape has not been stretched badly a gentle pull through your fingers will flatten the lumps so it is semi-playable in the damaged spot...Otherwise I splice them.
I don't want to run a damaged spot through the heads. It seems, the oxide sheds and fouls the rotating head.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't want to run a damaged spot through the heads. It seems, the oxide sheds and fouls the rotating head.
The one or two tapes I had to do that with were ~2004-7 era blanks, and they never fouled the heads on the players...Perhaps some of the older tape stock had those problems after being wrinkled and smoothed.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2016, 01:12 AM
centralradio centralradio is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't want to run a damaged spot through the heads. It seems, the oxide sheds and fouls the rotating head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the tape has not been stretched badly a gentle pull through your fingers will flatten the lumps so it is semi-playable in the damaged spot...Otherwise I splice them.
Yea .bad tape could do a number on the VCR.I have a couple of decks put aside for checking questionable tapes before I put them into my good decks.To this day I probably only rented 3 tapes since they started renting videos because who knows how clean and the condition was on the last deck was.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2016, 01:19 AM
centralradio centralradio is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,097
The other day I happen to go through some boxes here and found some 1980's Video Review and Video magazines .I miss those days looking at the magazines when they arrive in the mail.Drooling over while looking at the new Beta and VHS VCRs,Video cameras and later VHS camcorders.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:09 AM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,735
Im amazed they stayed in operation this long!! (I didnt realise anyone was still making em)

I first read about this on Steve Hoffmans site.....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.