Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 PM
centralradio centralradio is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,097
Wow.Great catch there Levi.As I found my Toshiba DVR/DVD recorder at the goodwill here in town tonight 09/29/2016 .They had a load of DVD players there and not many VCRs.I think they had a 1990's Hitachi there and a couple of camcorders there which I will go down there and look at them later.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Wow.Great catch there Levi.As I found my Toshiba DVR/DVD recorder at the goodwill here in town tonight 09/29/2016 .They had a load of DVD players there and not many VCRs.I think they had a 1990's Hitachi there and a couple of camcorders there which I will go down there and look at them later.
Thanks, I actually saw it in the back when it was being processed by the people in the back (as you know I work at Goodwill so I get to see some of the goodies as they come in through the back, and the person doing the pricing was going to just toss it but I told her that its a high end VHS deck and that most people who still like to enjoy movies on VHS will enjoy this deck and told her to put $9.99 because of it being a higher end deck (of course I was thinking of myself when I saw it) but anyways it was the day before yesterday that it was priced and it was put out the day before yesterday and it was still there and I was able to get the machine for $5 (with employee discount) and like I said I was amazed that it still had its original manual and remote with it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Blast's Avatar
Blast Blast is offline
blast, blast...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 237
Nice find, Levi! According to my files I've never worked on that particular model number. But, it probably uses the same mechanism as that of other similar models. I just don't have a way to cross it.
There were pre-1985 models that had a little problem with the lube drying up. But, if yours is of that era and is working there is a good chance that the issue was addressed in the past and that it won't cause you any problem.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Nice find, Levi! According to my files I've never worked on that particular model number. But, it probably uses the same mechanism as that of other similar models. I just don't have a way to cross it.
There were pre-1985 models that had a little problem with the lube drying up. But, if you're is of that era and is working there is a good chance that the issue was addressed in the past and that it won't cause you any problem.

Brian
According to the owners manual the unit I have is from 1987, so it probably never had the dried lube problem. Although it does seem to have an issue with the audio cutting in and out between Hi-Fi Stereo and Linear Stereo Audio when the VCR is set to output Hi-Fi Stereo audio, although I'm not sure if its an issue with dirty heads, faulty tape or what, because I haven't had a chance to try another Hi-Fi Stereo Tape in the VCR yet to see if it does it with other tapes or just the one tape or what.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Blast's Avatar
Blast Blast is offline
blast, blast...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 237
Oh, yeah, that's newer than the lube problem era. Now you're into what I call the "Top 4" era: Power supply caps, mode switch, loose P2 and P3 tape guides and the tantelum cap on the back side of the capstan motor. Once those are addressed that machine is one to be reckoned with!
Specifically, cleaning and the proper alignment of P2 and P3 may help your switching problem.

What's the FCC ID number on the rear panel?

Last edited by Blast; 09-30-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 10-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Oh, yeah, that's newer than the lube problem era. Now you're into what I call the "Top 4" era: Power supply caps, mode switch, loose P2 and P3 tape guides and the tantelum cap on the back side of the capstan motor. Once those are addressed that machine is one to be reckoned with!
Specifically, cleaning and the proper alignment of P2 and P3 may help your switching problem.

What's the FCC ID number on the rear panel?
FCC ID: ASI9O2035 Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 PM
centralradio centralradio is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,097
The FCC ID tag should look like the one in the photo.This is used as a example.
Attached Images
File Type: png FCC-ID-A4R-GG1-e-label.png (51.1 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-01-2016, 07:56 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
...it does seem to have an issue with the audio cutting in and out between Hi-Fi Stereo and Linear Stereo Audio when the VCR is set to output Hi-Fi Stereo audio, although I'm not sure if its an issue with dirty heads, faulty tape or what...
Since we were an authorized JVC service center, I worked on a few of those back in the day. I knew the unit as soon as I saw the model number. May be the hi-fi heads worn out, or a tape path alignment. IF the electronics are OK. This is where an oscilloscope connected to the head amp RF test points for the video and hi-fi would tell you a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Since we were an authorized JVC service center, I worked on a few of those back in the day. I knew the unit as soon as I saw the model number. May be the hi-fi heads worn out, or a tape path alignment. IF the electronics are OK. This is where an oscilloscope connected to the head amp RF test points for the video and hi-fi would tell you a lot.
The Hi-Fi functions just fine yet, I tried another tape and it worked fine, I think that the Monty Python tape just must of had a bad audio track or something which might of been why that tape wasn't working right audio wise.
Other than that it, everything else is working fine on it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Captainclock Captainclock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Since we were an authorized JVC service center, I worked on a few of those back in the day. I knew the unit as soon as I saw the model number. May be the hi-fi heads worn out, or a tape path alignment. IF the electronics are OK. This is where an oscilloscope connected to the head amp RF test points for the video and hi-fi would tell you a lot.
I have an oscilloscope but have no idea how to use it.

Also what if the audio works fine on another tape that's the same vintage?
I'm wondering because I tried another all analog VHS Tape from 1988 that when I played it it had no problems playing Hi-Fi Audio without cutting back and forth between Hi-Fi and Linear Stereo audio like the Monty Python tape did.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 10-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
I have an oscilloscope but have no idea how to use it.

Also what if the audio works fine on another tape that's the same vintage?
I'm wondering because I tried another all analog VHS Tape from 1988 that when I played it it had no problems playing Hi-Fi Audio without cutting back and forth between Hi-Fi and Linear Stereo audio like the Monty Python tape did.
Someone needs to show you how to check tape path alignment with an o'scope. Very important test and observation when servicing VCRs.

One way to test if the hi-fi heads are worn or partially clogged, would be to record and playback. If one or both heads are not working properly recording and playback will bring out the problem. If it does that with solid hi-fi tracking and no audio noise the heads are probably fine. Seen many VCRs in the day that would play back hi-fi on good tapes but would have flutter noise or just not switch to hi-fi at all on self-recordings if the hi-fi heads were too worn.

The Monty Python tape could have been recorded a bit out of alignment or head switching point was off, or the tape is damaged, stretched or curled along an edge, don't know and can't tell without looking.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.