Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:14 AM
freakaftr8's Avatar
freakaftr8 freakaftr8 is offline
Convergence freak!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Folsom, CA (no not in the prison)
Posts: 1,778
Somewhere I have a Simpson model 303. IIRC, it worked ok, but had a sticky needle that I repaired some years ago. Would the DVM meter be a bad choice because of the frequency the flyback runs off for the ripple in the DC that DVMs cannot pickup?
__________________
Honey, turn on the tv.. I'm cold!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:08 AM
maxhifi's Avatar
maxhifi maxhifi is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
Somewhere I have a Simpson model 303. IIRC, it worked ok, but had a sticky needle that I repaired some years ago. Would the DVM meter be a bad choice because of the frequency the flyback runs off for the ripple in the DC that DVMs cannot pickup?
They run the filament off high frequency AC, not DC. A DVM usually starts to read low as frequency increases, getting grossly inaccurate by the time you get up to approx. 15kHz (flyback frequency)

Someone correct me if this era sony doesn't power the filament this way, but I'm pretty sure they do. At one point you could buy Sony specific brighteners, which were small high frequency transformers intended to boost the filament voltage off the flyback.

Here is an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPB2-ISO-Is...-/182417131479

Before proceeding, make sure the filament in this TV really is powered from the flyback

Last edited by maxhifi; 09-04-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.