Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2021, 02:34 PM
Jon1967us Jon1967us is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Probably, but why would you want to?
All you would need to do to use a focus tube is add a focus winding on the flyback frame using 10KV insulation rated wire.
However every heater load on the flyback increases horizontal output cathode current, reduces HV, and increases opperating temperature of the flyback...All of which are bad things to do.

On sets with tube focus I often disconnect the focus tube heater winding, leave the tube in for appearance, and stick a cheap modern 5KV PIV rated diode in. It reduces load, heat, and stress on the flyback and horizontal system, and improves focus in most cases.
I can give you a part number for a cheap modern diode if you want.
If in the instance you only had a ctc15 fly when your ctc16 fly dies, and you want to adapt to the existing circuit, but this idea seems to make sense as well. Part number? I found this on Mouser https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...BIClpyBQ%3D%3D which would probably work... Also, I assume you mount the rect somewhere on the fly phenolic?

Last edited by Jon1967us; 07-04-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2021, 03:15 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1967us View Post
If in the instance you only had a ctc15 fly when your ctc16 fly dies, and you want to adapt to the existing circuit, but this idea seems to make sense as well. Part number? I found this on Mouser https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...BIClpyBQ%3D%3D which would probably work... Also, I assume you mount the rect somewhere on the fly phenolic?
That's the same diode I use for focus (I've even used 3-5 in series for HV rectifier duty).
The CTC-15 flys (atleast in the clones I own) did have mounting on the phenolic for the focus rect and 66M resistor. On a stock CTC-16 you could probably use the focus rect socket for one or more of the terminals.

I'd study the CTC16 and 15 schematics carefully before putting a 15 fly in a 16. IIRC the horizontal stages, their windings, and the windings for the chroma burst and H AFC circuits are different...you might need to extensively modify multiple circuits for such a swap to fully function.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.