Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2021, 02:15 PM
Dutchsteam Dutchsteam is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 8
The tapes arrived today. Their condition appears fine and clean, and I was able to verify a signal with my DIY MVS!!



Photos to go with this post can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jz?usp=sharing





From my vantage point, the cases, reels and tapes. appear in good condition. The tape is evenly wound, there is no spoking or holes in the winding.

The tape unspools easily by gravity and doesn't seem to stick to the underside of the reels. Nor do I get any shedding or stickiness on my cotton gloves when handling the tape.

There are a few hairline scratches along the shiny side of the tape but I assume this is to be expected? Obviously I don't know how many times these were played/recorded on. The dull side is clean. Tape lays down flat and doesn't want to curl. Edges of the tape appear straight.


I viewed one reel with a DIY magnetic viewing solution. Methanol and fine carbonyl iron powder. Tape C59078-A1-3C, Apollo XI Moon Walk GMT.

Unlike the two other reels, this tape does not have a rubber restrainer that keeps the tape from unspooling inside the case. The first meter or so of this tape is slightly curly and the edges are uneven. After that it becomes good.


It took a few tries and some waiting, but... we got a magnetic signal on the tape!! Certainly audio on one edge, helical scan tracks in the middle and control pulses on the other edge.





See Google Drive photos above for full resolution photos.


I would view more sections and the other two tapes like this... but shortly after this the (briefly submerged in the methanol solution) piece of tape started to curl heavily inward. I dried and cleaned it off carefully and spooled the tape back. Hopefully this section will straighten out...


One other thing of note is that the reels got IDs (E.I C59078-A1-3C) on the underside that match with the labled cases. So they must have matches the labels at one point in time... The cases do not appear to ever had any other labels stuck on them.


Experts, does this look like Ampex Type A?
Is it possible to judge the condition from my photos and description? Any hints of SSS or shedding?

Kind regards,
Niels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Memorex-Apollo11-3-small.jpg (30.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Memorex-Apollo11-6.jpg (79.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Memorex-Apollo11-5.jpg (81.1 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-24-2021, 01:49 AM
ppppenguin's Avatar
ppppenguin ppppenguin is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 466
It's many years since I've handled A format but those spools seem a little too small, so possibly IVC 700/800 etc. Can you give us the actual diameter of the spools please. Though I don't have an immediate reference for the sizes used.
__________________
www.borinsky.co.uk Jeffrey Borinsky www.becg.tv
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-24-2021, 05:02 AM
Dutchsteam Dutchsteam is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
It's many years since I've handled A format but those spools seem a little too small, so possibly IVC 700/800 etc. Can you give us the actual diameter of the spools please. Though I don't have an immediate reference for the sizes used.
They are a tiny bit smaller than my 1/4" 10" audio reel.

Some measurements:
Memorex Reel:

Width: 32,6mm

Diameter hub: 76mm

Diameter Outside: 247,5mm

Tape:

Width: 25,25mm
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.