Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #7  
Old 09-12-2021, 12:47 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
This VCR is certainly one of a kind, since VCR Plus+ no longer exists. VCR Plus+ was a feature of some VCRs of the 1990s which allowed the user to set a VCR so equipped to record TV programs simply by entering a 3- to 5-digit code (printed in the TV guide section of most newspapers of the time) into the device. I had a Panasonic VCR equipped with VCR Plus+ in the early 1990s; however, unfortunately, a tape jammed in the machine after just a few years, rendering the VCR unusable from that point forward.

The next VCR I bought (a Panasonic 4-head monophonic system) did not have VCR Plus+, as by then the system was no longer in use. However, I still have the remote from my VCR Plus+ VCR. The remote works with my current Panasonic PV-4022 VCR although, of course, the VCR Plus+ button no longer operates.

BTW, I am amazed my present Panasonic VCR still works, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I don't use it too much anymore (I bought an LG DVD player several years ago, and now have a large collection of DVDs as well as VHS tapes). I think the other reason my present Panny VCR still works as well as it does is it has few or no drive belts (I think it only has one or, at most, two belts in the entire mechanism). I believe a major failure mode of many if not most older VCRs, aside from worn heads, was worn or broken drive belts, so Panasonic's newer machines probably had fewer failures (at least from worn or broken drive belts) than others.


BTW, I think I may have made a mistake when I said this VCR has VCR Plus+, as I just looked at a picture of the machine and did not see any such feature mentioned on the front panel. However, since this VCR was made in the 1990s, I would be surprised if it did not have VCR Plus, as most Panny (and other) VCRs made in this time frame had that feature. However, as high-end as the VCR being discussed here must have been, it should have had VCR Plus in addition to all the other things it was equipped with (stereo FM radio tuner, et al).


IMO, this must have been the best VCR Panasonic ever made, hands-down. However, If Panny is still in business in the 21st century, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they are making high-end DVD players (not to mention flat-screen televisions) today.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-12-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.