Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2021, 08:48 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Well that explains it and marks the final end of an era in my area

On to more positive thoughts... I carefully snipped out the 5 HV caps and tacked in ASC replacements.
I took a lot of reference photos and am carefully storing all the old caps. I'll be giving the owner two repairs estimates. One with all new caps and one for a full restuffing. Either way the caps will be saved. They have nice Motorola logos under all that wax.





That got me this. OK reception but unable to get a sharp focus. After a few rounds of troubleshooting, it suddenly started working much better. For a while... then back to a muddy image. Let it cool down and sharp picture gain.



Still have a few paper caps to replace so I'm not too concerned yet.

I did learn something useful while digging through the HV bleeder resistors. They all have around 700-1,000 volts across them but they appear to only be 1W carbon comps. Those have a max voltage rating of only 500. I've seen other electrostatic sets use 2W which are good to 750. Either way, that's really pushing them.

Now I do have a supply of Vishay VR37 resistors good for 3,500 volts I can pop in, but they are light blue and will run the originality.
Still on the fence - originality vs reliability Will consult with the owner.
https://www.vishay.com/resistors-fix...product-28907/

__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 10-14-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.