Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2021, 08:53 AM
edison64's Avatar
edison64 edison64 is offline
THE A-1 WIRELESS MAN
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW INDIANA THE MAPLE CITY LA PORTE (GO SLICERS)
Posts: 347
I noticed that there are several yellow branded Motorola tubes in that set, it would have originally came with all white logo and apparently it must have been serviced at some time because the yellow logos if I remember right, service or warranty work was denoted by yellow logo tubes. Are the date codes very similar on both tubes?
__________________
RCA VICTOR and its dealers bring you......
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2021, 02:59 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by edison64 View Post
I noticed that there are several yellow branded Motorola tubes in that set, it would have originally came with all white logo and apparently it must have been serviced at some time because the yellow logos if I remember right, service or warranty work was denoted by yellow logo tubes. Are the date codes very similar on both tubes?
The yellow branded Motorola tubes are Sylvania sourced. They're probably original. That must be the first model run where Motorola had the tube supplier print their logo on the OEM tubes. The earlier models were equipped with tube branded with the supplier's name.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2021, 04:50 AM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Nice example of the 9T1 Bob, and nice work, as always. That's one of my fav early compact TV's. I love how the CRT seems to be bulging out of the set. Interestingly, one can't call this one a '40's set because it came on the market in 1950. One of the last of the 3 year run of small electrostatic sets. The only issues with these 8" models is that the CRT's are often found weak and are very difficult to locate. I had to buy a parts set for mine for the CRT and to complete the knob set with brass inserts. The red knobs are very unstable Tenite that want to shrink and lose their medallions. The other issue is that the plastic-weave grille cloth wants to wrinkle and pull from the speaker board. I fixed mine and then it wrinkled again. It's very comfortable to watch compared to the 7" models. Good luck with the resto!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950 Motorola 9T1.jpg (49.0 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2021, 06:50 AM
compucat's Avatar
compucat compucat is offline
1949 Motorola 9VT1
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 970
I have the wood cabinet version of that set and it is very watchable from across the room. These electrostatic sets are quite reliable once properly restored.
__________________
Just look at those channels whiz on by. - Fred Sanford
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2021, 08:46 AM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
I have the wood cabinet version of that set and it is very watchable from across the room. These electrostatic sets are quite reliable once properly restored.
Nice. You can call that one the "top-of-the-line" 8" in '50. The key with these Motorola'a, like you wrote, is a PROPERLY restored chassis. A minimalist resto on these chassis's will often leave you with "pie-crusting", intermittent arcing, and/or jittery picture.
The best early electro chassis's proved to be Sentinel (also often used by Crosley and Silvertone) and Emerson. The worst are the Philco's and Hallicrafters due to HV fade.

Last edited by decojoe67; 10-21-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 10-21-2021, 11:09 AM
compucat's Avatar
compucat compucat is offline
1949 Motorola 9VT1
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Nice. You can call that one the "top-of-the-line" 8" in '50. The key with these Motorola'a, like you wrote, is a PROPERLY restored chassis. A minimalist resto on these chassis's will often leave you with "pie-crusting", intermittent arcing, and/or jittery picture.
The best early electro chassis's proved to be Sentinel (also often used by Crosley and Silvertone) and Emerson. The worst are the Philco's and Hallicrafters due to HV fade.
When I restored mine in addition to a full recap, I replaced all the resistors in the sweep and high voltage circuits. I wanted to have a set I could use regularly and have on and off over the years. Mine was made in 1949 and had the picture tube replaced in 1954. These Motorolas may have been economy sets but they are well made. I always wanted one of the Bakelite Admirals but the twice I bought one it got smashed in shipping. I’ve accepted the fact that no one knows how to properly ship a Bakelite TV.
__________________
Just look at those channels whiz on by. - Fred Sanford
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2021, 11:28 AM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
When I restored mine in addition to a full recap, I replaced all the resistors in the sweep and high voltage circuits. I wanted to have a set I could use regularly and have on and off over the years. Mine was made in 1949 and had the picture tube replaced in 1954. These Motorolas may have been economy sets but they are well made. I always wanted one of the Bakelite Admirals but the twice I bought one it got smashed in shipping. I’ve accepted the fact that no one knows how to properly ship a Bakelite TV.
Don't feel bad, I had 2 7" Philco Bakelite shipped with damage. The only way to do it is to have the chassis and cabinet sent separate. Yes, the 8" Motorola's can be marked as '49's, but you'll see them in ads from 1950.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.