![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Roku really has a winner in its devices; I hope they stay around awhile, as these devices, as I said, can convert almost any flat-panel HDTV to a "smart" TV for much, much less than it would cost to replace an existing TV. One good feature of the Roku devices is they will keep going for years, as long as the software can be updated; in fact, I read somewhere not too long ago that there is no need to upgrade a Roku device if it still works, unless you eventually find some features becoming unusable by virtue of being out of date. My best advice is to keep your Roku device as long as it works, replacing or updating it only if or when the day comes when the device will not work at all anymore, or if some functions which formerly operated well now no longer work (for example, I have read that some features, such as HBO Plus, et al. are failing on some older Rokus, particularly very old ones such as the first or even some 2nd-generation devices). Again, as long as your Roku device works well for you, keep it and use it until it either quits or becomes unusable by virtue of outdated software (the player's automatic update feature will work only so long and will simply refuse to update the software after a certain date). BTW, one thing I like quite a bit about Roku devices is they eliminate the need for a TV antenna in any reception area (even fringe and deep-fringe areas) as long as the user has an Internet connection, since they do not use RF signals. I am especially grateful for this because I live in a near-fringe TV reception area where one of the stations, the CBS affiliate in Cleveland (which was sold and moved from channel 8 to channel 19 over a decade ago), does not reach; several other local stations, most of them on UHF channels, do not reach this area well or at all either, for that reason. However, the Roku device eliminates the need for any kind of antenna, which suits me to a T since I cannot use any kind of outdoor TV antenna here (lease restrictions). As I said above, I am sold on Roku devices. I do hope they are around a long time, as they can and do solve TV viewers' reception problems, especially in weak-signal or outright fringe areas. I sometimes wonder if these devices might eventually put the TV antenna manufacturers out of business. Since most folks have Internet connections and computers these days, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that day eventually arrives, even if it takes a while.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002 Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten. Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-26-2022 at 10:03 PM. |
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Sony and probably others did offer free disposal without strings.
I would bet BB has strings like you must buy a new one from them. IIRC with Sony you called an 800 ## & got an RA it also HAD to be a Sony. They gave you a list of places you could drop it off in the area. I thinks there were 2 0r 3 with in 20 miles of me. Not tied with a new set sale. 73 Zeno ![]() LFOD ! |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|