Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2022, 09:50 PM
starbond starbond is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 81
Ed, I built the dim bulb tester, and now Im ready to test voltages. Am I looking at the DC side voltages? Will i know when one looks off without having reference voltages?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2022, 11:31 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
The bulb test was to verify the short was gone before you plugged it in directly to AC. if you didn't do that you might have damaged the new Q4. Have you rechecked it? Also I'm a little old fashioned when testing diodes and transistors. I just use an analog volt-ohm meter usually set on 100X scale and test for a shorted condition. If a diode conducts one way and not the other it's generally good. Also not advised to go probing around in a power supply like that since the primary side is hot to ground. You need an isolation transformer to do that but rarely necessary to be working on that area of the PS powered on. There should be 5V and 12V outputs at least once it's running with a dim bulb. Not sure where else to go from here without a schematic.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2022, 08:36 AM
starbond starbond is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 81
Thanks Ed, I agree without a schematic is difficult. I think Q4 may indeed be damaged again. Pulled it out, bulb still lights very bright with it out, so guessing the problem is still elsewhere
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2022, 09:09 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Did you check D1 the full wave rectifier for a short?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2022, 10:01 AM
starbond starbond is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 81
Ed, D1 is a S1VB20 or so, tested in diode mode across all pins as show in data sheet and got .6V forward and overload OL in reverse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S1vb20.JPG (64.6 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-17-2022, 10:15 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
So you went 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 4, and 3 to 4 and all tested like a good diode? Then it's something else...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2022, 01:02 PM
starbond starbond is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
So you went 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 4, and 3 to 4 and all tested like a good diode? Then it's something else...
Yes all good.
Ive tested all the diodes in the HOT zone, all the transistors bar Q4, replaced a few capacitors that I had on hand. I must be missing something or measured something wrong.
When I measure DC voltages past the rectifer I only get about .5V
When i measure AC votages at the mains I'm only getting 1-2V coming in from the hot and neutral pins

I'm close to giving up on this and taking a loss. which is a shame because otherwise the VCR looks barely used.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.